Windshield Wiper Inserts

Dear All,

I'm the first time user too. I went to the dealer to get the recalled oil hose replacement service. They told me that I needed to change my wiper blades inserts. They were asking $92 :o for replacing cabin filter and the windshield wiper inserts(which I could order the parts $6.19 for each side). I refused to do that. Did anyone have any experience changing the inserts?

Please tell me how to replace the inserts.

Thank you all in advance.

Dear All,

I'm the first time user too. I went to the dealer to get the recalled oil hose replacement service. They told me that I needed to change my wiper blades inserts. They were asking $92 :o for replacing cabin filter and the windshield wiper inserts(which I could order the parts $6.19 for each side). I refused to do that. Did anyone have any experience changing the inserts?

Please tell me how to replace the inserts.

Thank you all in advance.

There is a tap either at the bottom or the top of the rubber insert that locks the rubber insert in place, pull on the tap side outward and the whole rubber insert will come out. Take out the two metal pieces are reverse the procedure to re-install.

One of the keys in installing wiper inserts is to install the metal support ribs correctly -- its usually different between the driver and passenger side. The curve of the metal support ribs usually follows the curve of the windshield on the passenger side but not on the drivers side. See the attached instructions -- they're from the wiper inserts I installed on our Camry a couple of days ago but it's usually the same on other Toyota and Lexus cars like my LS.

Also, on the passenger side of some Toyota/Lexus models, it makes a difference which end of the rubber wiper insert is first threaded into the wiper "claw" nearest the passenger side outboard edge of the windshield -- if the rubber insert is installed the "wrong" way, the end of the rubber insert will rub/hit the passenger side outboard windshield trim.

After installing new rubber inserts, double check that you have threaded the new rubber inserts and support ribs through all the wiper blade claws. If you miss one claw, you'll end up with a scratched windshield.

It may not be necessary to remove the the wiper blades from the wiper arms to install new rubber inserts. I actually find it easier to leave the wiper blades attached to the arms while installing the rubber inserts -- but I'm fairly tall and my arms are so long that my knuckles drag on the ground.

I'm probably making this sound more complicated than it really is. By my calculation, I've replaced over 100 of these inserts on our Toyota and Lexus cars over the past 20 years so I could probably do it blindfolded.

If you replace the cabin filter yourself, be very careful not to damage the housing that holds the filter -- I've read that the housing on some recent Lexus models can be easily damaged if the operation is not done correctly and that fixing the damage is very expensive.

post-2157-1264776439_thumb.jpg

To The G Man and 1990LS400. Thank you so much for your information.

Actually I already replaced the cabin filter by my own. The technician in Dealer scratched one of my knobs when they checked the filter. I noticed that when I opened the glove box and touched with bare fingers. But it is too late to complain the dealer about that.

That was my first experience to replace the cabin filter.

Thank you guys again for the information. :)

• 2 months later...

I think you may have solved a mystery/problem. I have a 2009 Toyota Corolla (not Lexus but read on as issue should be the same).

I have not owned a Toyota in awhile (I have been buying Subaru where they just sell arm/blade replacements, not wiper inserts) and to my dismay noted a lot of scratches on my windshield, especially the driver’s side. It has been a bad winter around here with a lot salt sand etc., but I am pretty careful, wash/hose my windows often, never run a wiper dry, etc.

I had a pair of OEM inserts (Type C) and even though my original blades looked good, I was going to change my blades out as the car will be 1 year old at the end of the month. I bought a new pair of rain -x wiper arms with blades, switched out the OEM arm/blade combinations, and was going to put the new OEM inserts in the OEM arms to keep as spares .

As soon as I took off the OEM arm/blade combos I noted the driver's side one just did not seem right. It seemed kind of "stiff”. I started to remove the passenger insert and noted the curvature of the "support rib" and how it followed the curve of the window on the passenger side. (I am also the kind of person who reads instructions.)

Then I noted the driver's side "support ribs" also followed the curve of the window on the driver’s side! It seems the support ribs were installed at the factory (or where ever the heck the wiper arms are installed) with the curve the "wrong" way?

I put the OEM wiper arm/blade combos back on the car and noted that the drivers blade /arm had a lot less "give" than the passenger. It has been a long time since college physics, but this may explain the "stiff arm" and scratches?