2001 Gs300 Overheating....help!

:angry:

Family, I need your help. My 2001 GS300 is overheating and I can't figure it out. Here's a little background; I drove her about 170 highway miles that day. As I was exiting the highway, noticed that the gauge was in the "RED". I can't tell you how long because I am not sure. It was a cold day, about 35 degress. After I noticed I drove her about 3 miles home parked noticed that the fan was not running. Let it sit for 24 hours and checked the radiator and the overflow was empty. I filled them both and idled the car for about 30mins. Gauge stayed normal, I figured all was well. Next morning I drive it to work (about 10 miles of which 8 are highway) it began to OH again. took it to Midas the had a hard time finding the problem. Things they checked: Temp sensor, relay, pressure test, electrical test. They thought that it was electrical because the fan would not turn on. jumpered the relay to run fan all the time. Attempted to drive car home it OH'd again. Took it to a Toyota dealer down the road they said that the radiator had a crack that allowed air pockets that effects the sensor which would not allow enough pressure to keep her cool! They want 700 to replace the rad...

This is my issue, I am scared that they are wrong and it will be something else! If there is a mechanic out there please give me your honest opinion? I'm thinking that it could be the thermostat, water pump but Midas, nor the Dealer mentioned either one. Somebody, anybody help a fellow Lexus owner.

Thanks

If you did have a trapped air pocket you would have the exact symptoms. Is it possible that the coolant wasn't checked for an extremely long amount of time? When the coolant level runs extremely low and you add fluid when the engine is not running you will most likely create an air pocket. The pocket will not allow the fans to turn on. When the engine is completely cold take the radiator cap off and start the engine. Then slowly add coolant till the radiator is full then top off the resevior, and reinstall the cap. That should fix the fan issue if it really was an air pocket. Make sure you start checking for leaks now.if the radiator is leaking you should be able to find coolant leaking or maybe it was just refilled wrong previously. I had the same probablem after a new radiator install. Good luck and please repost.

I keep trying to reply so sorry if there are multiples. It is possible that you have an air pocket. I've been there. If your radiator was really low or empty when you filled it that may have caused it. Try this. With the engine completely cold take off the radiator cap and start the car. Within a minute or so if you had air you will notice that the radiator was not as full as you thought because the air is bleeding out. While the engine is still running slowly add coolant to the radiator till it's full and top off the reservoir and reinstall the radiator cap. The should solve your problem if it was an air pocket. Now if the coolant went low due to a crack in the radiator you should be able to find the leak. Maybe the coolant wasn't checked in a really long time. Good luck. Please repost the results.

I keep trying to reply so sorry if there are multiples. It is possible that you have an air pocket. I've been there. If your radiator was really low or empty when you filled it that may have caused it. Try this. With the engine completely cold take off the radiator cap and start the car. Within a minute or so if you had air you will notice that the radiator was not as full as you thought because the air is bleeding out. While the engine is still running slowly add coolant to the radiator till it's full and top off the reservoir and reinstall the radiator cap. The should solve your problem if it was an air pocket. Now if the coolant went low due to a crack in the radiator you should be able to find the leak. Maybe the coolant wasn't checked in a really long time. Good luck. Please repost the results.

Lexo,

I tried that, I took the rad cap off and let it idle for 30mins. then filled. I also had the heat on high w/ the fan low. Still would overheat after driving a short distance. It is now "as I type" getting a new radiator. I hope this is the fix. If not...I'm screwed! Thanks for the input, I will keep you posted.

why would waste your hard earned money on a new radiator if your current one is not leaking??? Your problem is one of these ---- radiator fan switch, thermostat, coolant temp sensor, or water pump.... Good Luck!

I F'ing kicking myself right now. After Midas pressure check, electrical check totaling $195 then sending me on a wild goose chase around by relays, temp sensor, fan switch. Then paying $90 to the Toyota dealer to tell me that the rad had a crack and needed to be replaced. $160 for the rad, $180 install. Still overheating.....

Talked to mom (mother knows best), and she suggested that I check the thermastat. After talking to people, mechanics and on countless forms I !Removed!'U'ME-D that Midas, and Toyota verified that. Well, nope we changed the Thermastat ran it idle with the cap off and the heat on. I test drove it then took it on the highway! Temp stayed level, drove it home without issue. I can't believe it fam. The damn thermastat....C'MON Son! :censored:

Thats how some Toyota and Lexus Dealerships get you. They tell you everything else in the world is wrong except for the actual issue......thats until they run out of things to fix and then they will fix the problem you went in there for. But at that point, you damn near re-bought all the parts for your car. I too was raped by Lexus. Never will happen again