Extended Warranties

jonjdurkin

I own a 96 400 in 95% condition. Today I heard an ad for an auto warranty (Nationwide Auto Protection Plan) for any car with less than 175k. My baby has 174,170. The plan covers engine, transmission and water pump for 5 yrs/100k whichever comes first for 2600 bucks. It doesn't cover electric components such as A/C, windows, seats, mirrors, etc. In your opinion(s) is this a decent deal? Right now, everything works. I love this car. I want to grow old and die with it and then be buried in it (that's legal in Nevada). What say you?

Save your money. Your "baby" is well past middle aged. Put the $2,600 in the bank and use it to pay repairs as they come along. Also read the fine print about deductibles and exclusions. Be realistic though at 175k miles this car is closer to dead than alive. Its true some Lexus owners get incredible mileage but 300-400-500k miles. Maybe not. Perhaps you can get another 4-6 years with her hopefully you’ll live longer than that.

I have talked with a few of those extended warrenty people and even having a 1993 w/ over 182K I could still get them to cover engine, trans, ac, water pump, window motors, radiator(I think), and many more other little things for somewhere around that price ( I don't remember exactly). If you really want to get a plan like that check out a few other companies and you can get a better deal than that. HOwever from what I've heard most of those companies are devils when it comes to fine print. Make sure you know exactly all the conditions that you agree to before handing over any money. Also think about what happens if you have a susspension part bust or run into a fire hydrent. If something major like that happens that is not covered you will have definetly wished you saved that $2600, which might I add is right around half the value of your car. Put some of that money into preventive matinance and you will be much more satisfied.

If you want protection against possible mechanical breakdowns you need to invest money in preventive maintenance, not extended warranties. Consider all the preventive maintenance you may not have performed. Examples: the owners manual requirement to check the engine's valve clearances at 60,000 miles, your distributor caps, rotors and spark plug wires may have never been changed, nor the oxygen sensors in front of your catalytic converters.

Your throttle plate may never have been cleaned robbing your engine of both power and fuel economy. Your differential fluid may not have ever been changed. The timing belt idler pulleys and tensioner may never have been changed. An LS is expensive to maintain and all an extended warranty does is distract the owner from spending money on maintenance needed that can keep the car reliable for 300,000 or more miles.