Hi Mileage 02 Es300 With Cel

Hey, I just found this site over the weekend when I developed a problem on my car.  Here's some history--

I've got an '02 ES300. The check engine light came on for the first time EVER, and so I called the dealer to schedule an appt to get it checked. At that point I'm told it will be $111 for them to diagnose the problem. I declined, and told them I'd go to Autozone to have it checked. I took it there, and it has 4 codes. P0446, P0430, and I don't remember the other codes, but they were identical, but different banks. My question is, should I get these issues fixed, ignore them, or is it just tmie for me to consider a new car.

I LOVE this car. It's still got a great, shiny black paint job, it's been dealer maintained its whole life, never had the first problem out of it, other than my cupholder falling apart for reasons I still don't understand. The downside is I have 230,000 miles on it. That's the only downside, but I figure if I went to trade it in, I'll probably get about $1.49 for it. At what point is it just a losing battle?

230K is nothing, my Es300 made it 362K, still was running good.

Rerun code and fix it.

P0446

(DI–93)

Evaporative Emission Control

System Vent Control

Malfunction

Open or short in VSV circuit for EVAP

VSV for EVAP

Open or short in vapor pressure sensor circuit

Vapor pressure sensor

Open or short in VSV circuit for vapor pressure sensor

VSV for vapor pressure sensor

Vacuum hose cracked, holed, blocked, damaged or

disconnected

Charcoal canister cracked, holed or damage

P0430???

230K is nothing, my Es300 made it 362K, still was running good.

Rerun code and fix it.

P0446

(DI–93)

Evaporative Emission Control

System Vent Control

Malfunction

Open or short in VSV circuit for EVAP

VSV for EVAP

Open or short in vapor pressure sensor circuit

Vapor pressure sensor

Open or short in VSV circuit for vapor pressure sensor

VSV for vapor pressure sensor

Vacuum hose cracked, holed, blocked, damaged or

disconnected

Charcoal canister cracked, holed or damage

P0430???

Well, that makes me feel a little better, then. P0430 is Catalyst efficiency below threshold. No clue what that means.

The downstream O2 sensor monitors the catalytic converters, for proper operation. Several things can cause this code, and it could be expensive. Do you have emission testing in the county you live in? If not there could be easier alternatives.

P0446 is for the evap leak, check hoses vac hoses for cracks or splits, the gas cap can also cause this code (there is a pressure relief valve built into the cap). Also if you do not tighten the cap properly, you can set this code.

The downstream O2 sensor monitors the catalytic converters, for proper operation. Several things can cause this code, and it could be expensive. Do you have emission testing in the county you live in? If not there could be easier alternatives.

P0446 is for the evap leak, check hoses vac hoses for cracks or splits, the gas cap can also cause this code (there is a pressure relief valve built into the cap). Also if you do not tighten the cap properly, you can set this code.

No emissions checking in this county. I always tighten the gas cap until it clicks. So what are these options? I"m not too worried about expensive, as it's still undoubtedly less expensive than buying a new car. If the mileage isn't horrible, then I'm still going to keep it nice.

The ECM is basically looking for a slowly varying signal from the downstream sensor, one option that has been used by people who remove the cats is to simulate this signal electronically. This allows people to remove the cats (helpfull if you are tunning a turbo, etc). If I was in your situation, I would purchase one of these simulators and fool the ECM into thinking everything is ok. I would leave as much of the system intact as practical in case you move to a area where they require testing.

So with that in mind, I would purchase the simulator, and cut the harness and wires off the appropriate O2 sensor. This way you could return the system to stock with the purchase and installation of a single O2 sensor. If you do a search of ebay for "o2 simulators" you will see what I am talking about.

• 3 weeks later...

I had the code P0430 and due to your post, I checked the simple and free checks myself. It was a loose gas cap and now the code has gone away. THANKS THANKS THANKS!!!