Blue Gauges

cduluk, you are a fountain of knowledge. I had no idea the bezel just popped off like that. Now, instead of cutting the acetate film into three separate shapes, I can just pull the bezel and cut one big piece to fit over the tinted cover.

FWIW, I still like your blue gauges better, but the work involved is just way too much for me (and the equipment like the paint sprayer). This method is quick and easy (like 'blue gauge project for dummies..hahaha). Too bad you didn't live in my neck of the woods (hey you'd have universal health care..!!) and I'd get you to do the mod for me.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

cduluk, you are a fountain of knowledge. I had no idea the bezel just popped off like that. Now, instead of cutting the acetate film into three separate shapes, I can just pull the bezel and cut one big piece to fit over the tinted cover.

FWIW, I still like your blue gauges better, but the work involved is just way too much for me (and the equipment like the paint sprayer). This method is quick and easy (like 'blue gauge project for dummies..hahaha). Too bad you didn't live in my neck of the woods (hey you'd have universal health care..!!) and I'd get you to do the mod for me.

Yes. this was a great bit of information and like lemon, I am going to redo my acetate method and just cut one piece instead of the three that I did before knowing how easy it was to take off the gauge bezel. I just love the blue gauges! Rey

[i'll let you know how it went, and what colour I chose to put over the 'window' - I have to see what red looks like - I've got that colour in the BMW and it is very easy on the eyes at night while being very legible = like fighter planes during WWII!].

I'm a bit surprised you feel that way about red. My daughter's Mazda also has red gauge illumination and in most cultures, red signifies "warning", "caution", or "danger". I find it somewhat distracting compared to the soothing blue color which for most people signifies "cool" or "calm".

Also, I think Lemon found that a red tint results in a pink hue, not red. If you're not female, having pink gauges can easily be misconstrued....

[i'll let you know how it went, and what colour I chose to put over the 'window' - I have to see what red looks like - I've got that colour in the BMW and it is very easy on the eyes at night while being very legible = like fighter planes during WWII!].

I'm a bit surprised you feel that way about red. My daughter's Mazda also has red gauge illumination and in most cultures, red signifies "warning", "caution", or "danger". I find it somewhat distracting compared to the soothing blue color which for most people signifies "cool" or "calm".

Also, I think Lemon found that a red tint results in a pink hue, not red. If you're not female, having pink gauges can easily be misconstrued....

Who wanted red?

What do you mean black cover and transparent window?

If you're in the drivers seat, the first thing you notice around the cluster is what's called the outer "bezel". It's the piece with the chrome rings.

xc817n.jpg

This piece is only held on with clips, and can be removed by pulling it directly towards you. Grab the left and right dividers (the pieces that separate the three holes) and pull out.

When you've got this piece out, you'll be face to face with the gauge cluster. You'll see the tinted cover over the cluster.

97rvw4.jpg

2r541i1.jpg

It's only held to the cluster by some clips, but it's almost impossible to remove without taking the cluster out of the car. You can remove the cluster by removing the four philips screws (one at each corner). Then there are 3 plugs on the back, and that's that!

Thank you very much: the outer bezel is the part I wanted to pull out, but did not dare. Where are the clips (e.g. right and left, top and bottom.... and how many?) I had already pulled reasonably hard but was scared to pull more strongly.... Great info. Tks. again! [i'll let you know how it went, and what colour I chose to put over the 'window' - I have to see what red looks like - I've got that colour in the BMW and it is very easy on the eyes at night while being very legible = like fighter planes during WWII!].

Yes everyone, I can attest to the simplicity of taking off the gauge bezel. Thanks to the great info by cduluk and his equally fab pictures, I went to my car, took off the bezel and put one sheet of blue acetate over the whole window (pictured above). I then very easily placed the bezel back on (it snaps into place) and it is fabuloso! In using my simple method, there is no need to take off the plastic window..... The gauges are a gorgeous blue and very soothing both night and day and so,so very easy to do. Five minute mod, as cheap as you can ever want, and it looks great! Rey

I didn't realize that the plastic behind the bezel was tinted. Maybe that mixed with the red acetate gave it the pinky hue I experienced. The other possiblity is that there are different shades of acetate. A deeper red shade might come out less pink looking.

As you mentioned, I do find the blue to be a soothing colour. Wife used to have a 2000 Beetle and the blue was quite nice, compared to my in-laws Pontiac which was a garish orangey red. I do find the red used by BMW and Audi to be a different shade from the Pontiac, and a bit more pleasing to my eye anyway.

Oh yeah, the factory plastic cover is tinted. That's what gives Lexus gauges that totally "black" look when they're off. And when the gauges come on, it gives it that pure black/white effect. Makes the numbers and gauges crystal clear and look very futuristic! It's Lexus' trademark gauges...

If you used one layer of red film, the output will be pink. The gauges light is white- and when mixed with red, yields pink.

You'd need SEVERAL layers of red film to get a pure red color on these gauges- but then you'd lose a lot of brightness.

That's why it's best to replace the white SMT's with red ones. Filtering the red light out of white (remember white light contains all the colors) won't give you as much brightness as just starting with red in the first place.

It's just not practical to do it this way... With light filters it might be OK, but you're never gonna get a deep red, blue, green etc without sacrificing considerable brightness.

I didn't realize that the plastic behind the bezel was tinted. Maybe that mixed with the red acetate gave it the pinky hue I experienced. The other possiblity is that there are different shades of acetate. A deeper red shade might come out less pink looking.

As you mentioned, I do find the blue to be a soothing colour. Wife used to have a 2000 Beetle and the blue was quite nice, compared to my in-laws Pontiac which was a garish orangey red. I do find the red used by BMW and Audi to be a different shade from the Pontiac, and a bit more pleasing to my eye anyway.

hasn't all of this been so interesting? Lemon, I noticed that when I got more acetate, I went to a different place, that the blues were different. They both looked great, but different. So it makes sense that there would be different reds. But, the blue, its really nice! And the fact that the bezel comes off so easily makes my project so great now. I just put the new acetate in and it lays more easily, being one piece and it doesn't get messy from fingers as I tried to slip it in with the bezel on...it looks GREAT!!!

Oh yeah, the factory plastic cover is tinted. That's what gives Lexus gauges that totally "black" look when they're off. And when the gauges come on, it gives it that pure black/white effect. Makes the numbers and gauges crystal clear and look very futuristic! It's Lexus' trademark gauges...

If you used one layer of red film, the output will be pink. The gauges light is white- and when mixed with red, yields pink.

You'd need SEVERAL layers of red film to get a pure red color on these gauges- but then you'd lose a lot of brightness.

That's why it's best to replace the white SMT's with red ones. Filtering the red light out of white (remember white light contains all the colors) won't give you as much brightness as just starting with red in the first place.

It's just not practical to do it this way... With light filters it might be OK, but you're never gonna get a deep red, blue, green etc without sacrificing considerable brightness.

Well, obviously you are wrong, it is practical..it's the model of practicality.....Yes there is a little less light but it looks great so as you can see from the pictures, it works as an overlay. I know you want to be "Right" but the overlay works and very few people are going to take their dashes apart. Bottom line, the overlay looks great and IS practical by any definition!

I can confirm, the blue looked good (and didn't take away any brightness), the red not so good. I did try adding a second layer of red acetate to get a deeper red, and cduluk was right - it got too dark. However, replacing SMT's on the circuit board with red ones or red leds or blue ones or blue leds is WAY above my soldering skills - unless it's just a plug in. But from cduluk's blue gauge post it didn't look like it was as easy as plugging in a lightbulb...

I can confirm, the blue looked good (and didn't take away any brightness), the red not so good. I did try adding a second layer of red acetate to get a deeper red, and cduluk was right - it got too dark. However, replacing SMT's on the circuit board with red ones or red leds or blue ones or blue leds is WAY above my soldering skills - unless it's just a plug in. But from cduluk's blue gauge post it didn't look like it was as easy as plugging in a lightbulb...

Yeah, replacing the SMT's isn't an easy process. You'd have to mark the polarity of each, destroy each, and re-solder on new ones. Totally possible but it would take a while. But you'd have no limits as to what color you convert to, since the white SMT's used run on the highest voltage and current of any colored SMT's. So you'd know there's always enough voltage- they would be direct replacements.

If i didn't like the color of the factory gauges, i would be all over it! But i LOVE the white, it's so pure... <_<

Well..... My 'bezel' is probably the only one which does not come off so easily: two clips extension broke (stuck into the slots) and some little pieces (the metal around the plastic) falling somewhere down into the lower dashboard.... and I haven't even yet bought the acetates or gels to test the different colours (by the way, did anyone try green, like old Fords?). How much does a new bezel cost, anyway, and does anyone know the best place to buy it?

In response to an earlier post: I was the one who suggested red. I find my (older) eyes are a lot less bothered by the dash lights in red than they are in the white, lowered to the max. but not out, and that the legibility of the gauges is not diminished. I haven't yet tried it nd haven't 'chosen' it - so don't be upset with me yet - but I stand by my conviction that the red BMW gauges are the best combination of lack of eye fatigue, legibility of dials and no loss of night vision that I have experienced during long, dark night drives.

Well..... My 'bezel' is probably the only one which does not come off so easily: two clips extension broke (stuck into the slots) and some little pieces (the metal around the plastic) falling somewhere down into the lower dashboard.... and I haven't even yet bought the acetates or gels to test the different colours (by the way, did anyone try green, like old Fords?). How much does a new bezel cost, anyway, and does anyone know the best place to buy it?

In response to an earlier post: I was the one who suggested red. I find my (older) eyes are a lot less bothered by the dash lights in red than they are in the white, lowered to the max. but not out, and that the legibility of the gauges is not diminished. I haven't yet tried it nd haven't 'chosen' it - so don't be upset with me yet - but I stand by my conviction that the red BMW gauges are the best combination of lack of eye fatigue, legibility of dials and no loss of night vision that I have experienced during long, dark night drives.

Paul, I am so sorry that the bezel broke for you. I feel a little responsible. It was easy and if it wasn't for cduluk's pictures, I would not have tried to pull it off. But when I saw the pictures I was able to understand how the bezel was attached and pulled it straight out. Yes, it takes a little persuasive tug but it was very easy. So I hope that others that try it are now aware that the clips can break and to simply be more careful not to force the disunion too much. Rey in still rainy L.A.

Paul, I am so sorry that the bezel broke for you. I feel a little responsible. It was easy and if it wasn't for cduluk's pictures, I would not have tried to pull it off. But when I saw the pictures I was able to understand how the bezel was attached and pulled it straight out. Yes, it takes a little persuasive tug but it was very easy. So I hope that others that try it are now aware that the clips can break and to simply be more careful not to force the disunion too much. Rey in still rainy L.A.

Rey: Thank you for your kind words/Of course, you are in no way responsible. I am. But I will forge ahead nonetheless ... Be well!

Rey: Thank you for your kind words/Of course, you are in no way responsible. I am. But I will forge ahead nonetheless ... Be well!

Paul, have you looked on line to fine the bezel? First see if the broken one can be fixed. It's a really simple fixture so I would think that you can easily find a way to affix it without any problems. The other thing is to look on line. Last resort would be to have LEXUS do it. You might as well buy a new car with what they would charge...I imagine. I love my dealership and everything they have done...BUT...but I wouldn't go to them if I needed a part like the bezel unless I had no other choice. Good luck and again, I am sorry about your experience. Rey

Paul, have you looked on line to fine the bezel? First see if the broken one can be fixed. It's a really simple fixture so I would think that you can easily find a way to affix it without any problems. The other thing is to look on line. Last resort would be to have LEXUS do it. You might as well buy a new car with what they would charge...I imagine. I love my dealership and everything they have done...BUT...but I wouldn't go to them if I needed a part like the bezel unless I had no other choice. Good luck and again, I am sorry about your experience. Rey

I've tried finding it on-line, and cannot find the part. Of course, the dealership is the ultimate solution. I will have to get the part no., and then look again on-line. In the meantime, yes, the bezel cover 'holds' and is not really loose, so a little bit of foam rubber strategically placed will 'tighten it ' into position well enough and will not be visible; obviously the interim (and maybe ultimate!) solution, at least until I decide what colour to use.... Tks. again! Be well!

cduluk is correct, it will hold. If it were me I might just use a little 3M automotive, double stick tape, the gray, foamy stuff with the red peel back. It'll be OK. Rey

It's OK if the clips broke on the bezel- mine are all broken too.

....this coming from a guy who is trying to convince us to mod our RXs?????

We are all in BIG trouble!!! :lol:

cduluk is correct, it will hold. If it were me I might just use a little 3M automotive, double stick tape, the gray, foamy stuff with the red peel back. It'll be OK. Rey

That is what I will do. Tks!

I didn't need any tape or velcro... it fits pretty snug on its own :huh:

Yes, mine does too, but I will still secure it a little more...

For whoever cares, I tried red, green and blue film tonight. The red, probably because of the bluish tint of the 'white' lighting of the dials, appears more magenta than red, and nearly pink. It is also makes the dials somewhat less legible. So: not red (though I would have preferred it. The blue is certainly 'snappy' and more legible than the red, but I preferred the green, which looks bluish=green in the night, leaves the dial indications the easiest to read, and is quite easy on the eyes. We'll see tomorrow during the day what the choice becomes....

Well, first of all, thank you all for suggesting this mod and so clearly explain how to proceed. I intend to try it no later than next week, although not before having found the proper light blue acetate.

I understand the real challenge left if one chooses the simpler path of doing, is getting the outer bezel unclipped, without having those plastic clips broken. I know they might not be all needed but I hate to think one or a few of them would be missing.. (perfectionist dilemma..)

To that end, would any of you post a pic of the back of that broken bezel so that those willing to try the hold and pull action, understand better where the resistance stands ?

Thank you very much in advance and I will report results asap.

Best! :)