I'm Stumped!

zoomee99

99 RX 300 with two...maybe related... issues. Dome light does not light up when the door is opened (bulb is good) and the headlights don't turn off when in auto mode. I suspect both things are triggered by a door open/closed sensor...but I'll be danmed if I can find where it is so I can test it. Thoughts?

Yeah, the door open/close sensor is built into the door lock mechanism itself. Usually it's just a button on the door jam that compresses when the door's closed, but the Lexus engineers decided to make it more difficult for the Rx300 :(

This may be one of those "duh" questions but we need to eliminate the obvious. Is the three position switch on the dome light in the correct position so that it comes on when the door opens?

This may be one of those "duh" questions but we need to eliminate the obvious. Is the three position switch on the dome light in the correct position so that it comes on when the door opens?

that wouldn't affect the headlight issue too though...

• 10 months later...

I have this same issue on my 99. the passenger door never works and the driver door sometimes works. anyone made a howto on what to replace. if i can open up the lock mechanism and just replace the bad sensor, that would be great. thanks, mike

Mike- Do you mean the door locks are problematic, or that when the doors (R&L) are opened the dome lights and the auto head lights are problematic?