Key Programming Rx400h

hi mates

i hope some of you can help me.

I've bought a car and there was no key, so i hire a guy who made new one. The new key is working (open the door and start the engine) but remote is not working. Funny thing is that i found also the old key (under the wheel in the trunk) but in the old key remote is working but the key isn't.

Appriciate for any good solutions how to program remote of working key or how to program the second key.

It's good you found the remote from the other key, pretty sure you need it to register any new ones.

The reason that the key (the one you found) won't open or start the car, is because when you register a new one, the oldest key that had been programmed will no longer work.

This is because only 4 keys can be programmed at one time. The previous owner must have had a total of 4 keys made. 3 must be lost... and the one you found must have been the first master key. So when you went to make this one (which would have been an impossible 5th one) the first remote you found de-activated and transfered its power to the new one. <_<

I'd swap the chip in the non-working remote with the chip in the working remote. If you take apart the black back of the remote itself, you'll notice a little 4mm x 10mm gray chip which can be slid out. So you'll have the working chip in the working remote. The chip is what allows the key to start the car. The remote is what locks and unlocks the doors.

The non-working remote and chip need to be programmed. Once de-activated, it can be re-programmed just like normal.

Hope that helps :)

It's good you found the remote from the other key, pretty sure you need it to register any new ones.

The reason that the key (the one you found) won't open or start the car, is because when you register a new one, the oldest key that had been programmed will no longer work.

This is because only 4 keys can be programmed at one time. The previous owner must have had a total of 4 keys made. 3 must be lost... and the one you found must have been the first master key. So when you went to make this one (which would have been an impossible 5th one) the first remote you found de-activated and transfered its power to the new one. <_<

I'd swap the chip in the non-working remote with the chip in the working remote. If you take apart the black back of the remote itself, you'll notice a little 4mm x 10mm gray chip which can be slid out. So you'll have the working chip in the working remote. The chip is what allows the key to start the car. The remote is what locks and unlocks the doors.

The non-working remote and chip need to be programmed. Once de-activated, it can be re-programmed just like normal.

Hope that helps :)

thank's a lot for fast response!

is there any chance that i would programm the non working chip by myself. do you know how to do that? how can i register non working remote?

I'm not 100% sure, but i think you need the dealer to do the programming of the chip. I know it's possible on some other lexus models (by performing some weird procedures like locking and unlocking the doors 5 times or pressing the brake 5 times...) but as far as i know, it's not possible on the 06+ Rx models...

I could be totally wrong, but haven't come across any procedures for the 06+ Rx's.

If you buy a used remote from ebay, you can bring it to the dealer and have them program it. This way you can avoid the actual price of the remote. The act or programming isn't that expensive... But you can ask the dealer first they'll be able to tell you for sure <_<

• 1 month later...
hi mates

i hope some of you can help me.

I've bought a car and there was no key, so i hire a guy who made new one. The new key is working (open the door and start the engine) but remote is not working. Funny thing is that i found also the old key (under the wheel in the trunk) but in the old key remote is working but the key isn't.

Appriciate for any good solutions how to program remote of working key or how to program the second key.

When you had your key made, since there was no other working key, the guy had to do a "lost all keys" procedure, and that erases all of the existing key codes. That's why the other key won't start the car any more. Depending on the vehicle, sometimes there are 2 procedures that have to be done, one for the immobilizer (the transponder chip that allows the key to start the car) and one for the remote control portion.

I would call a dealer, explain your situation, and see what they say.

• 2 weeks later...