2003 Rx 330 - Ticking Noise

lotec 1960

Has anyone experienced this problem? I bought used R330 (3MZ-FE) with 50 000 miles and it has a ticking noise coming from the engine at idle. It sounds like valve train noise. It drives me crazy. I heard about some injector noise issues on these models. Should I check the valve clearance? Perhaps someone has a good troubleshooting procedure or solution for this annoying noise.

Thanks in advance

Has anyone experienced this problem? I bought used R330 (3MZ-FE) with 50 000 miles and it has a ticking noise coming from the engine at idle. It sounds like valve train noise. It drives me crazy. I heard about some injector noise issues on these models. Should I check the valve clearance? Perhaps someone has a good troubleshooting procedure or solution for this annoying noise.

Thanks in advance

Some on this site have mentioned the timing chain as a source of this kind of noise. Does the noise go away or become significantly reduced after the car is completely warmed up? Does it go away or change when revved?

This vehicle has a timing belt, not a chain. Big, big difference in terms of longevity and being built to last. A chain is always better....

What you're hearing is indeed valve noise. Annoying as hell, but normal....

Thanks in advance

Some on this site have mentioned the timing chain as a source of this kind of noise. Does the noise go away or become significantly reduced after the car is completely warmed up? Does it go away or change when revved?

The noise is always on the same level and I can still hear it when you gently rev the engine up. It appears that is more noticeable inside the car then outside even when you open the hood the noise seems to be not at the same level like inside the car.

This vehicle has a timing belt, not a chain. Big, big difference in terms of longevity and being built to last. A chain is always better....

Are they all doing that? ….or is the valve clearance needs adjustment. What about ticker oil or additive, like LUCAS. The noise is there all the time regardless of temperature of engine. Makes me believe that the valve lash is incorrect or the valves are not seated properly…..hmmmm 60 K Lexus and runs like a diesel.

[\quote name=RX in NC' date='Jan 4 2010, 05:48 AM' post='397453]

This is what I was thinking of (taken from an article on the 2010 RX 350 which is the wrong year for the OP):

"The highly compact, all-aluminum, chain-driven double overhead camshaft, 24 valve, 3,456cc V6 petrol engine features Dual VVT-i (Variable Valve Timing-intelligent) - an optimized variable intake and exhaust valve timing system- to achieve the perfect balance of high performance with low fuel consumption and emissions."