94gs3oo Overheating

I have replaced thermastat & waterpump in my 94gs300 and still it overheats. No visible leaks. The heater is blowing cold air even when temp. is at normal to hot. Any suggestions woiuld be greatlly appreciated.

Suggest you solve engine overheating issue before heater blowing cold problem:

Did engine overheating appear suddenly or has been getting slowly worse for a longer period of time?

Radiator clogged or its front blocked by leaves/newspaper?

Radiator is completely filled when you inspect on a COLD engine?

Coolant is clean with no visible oil?

Drive belt is right part and it is correctly routed around all pulleys?

Drive belt is correctly tensioned and not slipping?

Thermostat is installed for correct flow direction?

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmmm well the heater does take its heat from the coolant, so it sounds like there is a blockage somewhere, otherwise your coolant pump (water pump) isn't working, but you said you replaced that so it should be working.

Ummmmmmm, it's interesting that the heater is blowing cold air, I think that will be part of the problem of the overheating. There is a valve the regulates the amount of coolant going into the heater exchange box, if you have the A/C on and temperature set to the coldest, then this valve should be closed and not allowing any hot coolant into this exchange, where if your heater is set to high, it should be allowing hot coolant into the exchange box.

I want to say there is a blockage somewhere in the coolant system, I guess you could check by draining the coolant, checking the amount that drained out and comparing it with the amount that the system is supposed to hold.

That's about all I can think off at this moment (as I'm quite tired- you can probably tell since my post doesn't sound very well structured), I'll have to think it over.

Cheers,

Matt.

I have replaced thermastat & waterpump in my 94gs300 and still it overheats. No visible leaks. The heater is blowing cold air even when temp. is at normal to hot. Any suggestions woiuld be greatlly appreciated.

Get a piece of cardboard thats big enough to cover the engine area and radiator. Put it under your car then start it up and let it run for a while. Check for drips of coolant and Leave it there overnight. That will show any leaks and give you an idea where it is. You may have a pin hole leak in the radiator, or a hose. Thats my guess. I have to believe your loosing some coolant.

I wish I would have seen this post earlier. What probably happened was is that you left air trapped in the system. When the car is col remove the radiator cap and start the car. Let the air bleed out and and slowly fill the radiator with colant till it's full. That should most likely help you. Good luck

I'm in the same situation, new water pump, new thermostat, I found my rely was bad so my fans weren't kicking in. I changed the rely and it still overheats now I'm thinking its gonna be my clutch fani mean that's all that's left to check. Does anyone know how to check if its any good?

P.S

Don't mean to thread jack I just didn't want to start a new thread for the same problem the ot is having.

I'm in the same situation, new water pump, new thermostat, I found my rely was bad so my fans weren't kicking in. I changed the rely and it still overheats now I'm thinking its gonna be my clutch fani mean that's all that's left to check. Does anyone know how to check if its any good?

P.S

Don't mean to thread jack I just didn't want to start a new thread for the same problem the ot is having.

if there is air trapped in the system the fans won't work either. Sounds strange but I know this from experience.