How To Tell Auto Rear View Mirror Is Operating Correctly?

Good morning. After a lifetime of owning German automobiles, I went in a different direction and purchased a RX400H from a local dealership. It is a nice 2006 AWD lease return model. Has a few miles on it, but was sold as "certified", so I assume it has a warranty against fixing "things". What I would like to know is how can I tell if the auto dimming center rear view mirror is operating properly. Is there a easy, simple way of knowing. Turning it off and on doesn't seem to make much difference. Thanks for any help you can offer.

p.s. I'm going to have to have the dealership take a look at the garage door opener also. Just can't get that to work. At initial delivery, the sales rep programmed my remote into the car...but it wouldn't work when I got home. I tried several times with several remotes, and even at a friends house. Doesn't work.

I'll bet you'll be able to tell if your mirror is auto-dimming when you get somebody behind you with their highbeam headlights on. ;)

Unless you took delivery of your car at your home, it is unlikely that the sales guy could have successfully programmed your garage door remote. For most garage door openers made in the past 20 years, it is a 2-step process with the 2nd step usually requiring the pressing of a button on the garage door opener motor housing in your garage. I won't go over the procedure since it's been covered a bazillion times on this forum. If necessary, look in your garage door opener owners manual -- if you don't have it, you can likely find instructions on the Internet.

Also . . . you might try holding the button on the overhead console for several seconds. My RX400H garage door opener will not work by simply pushing the button.

Good morning. After a lifetime of owning German automobiles, I went in a different direction and purchased a RX400H from a local dealership. It is a nice 2006 AWD lease return model. Has a few miles on it, but was sold as "certified", so I assume it has a warranty against fixing "things". What I would like to know is how can I tell if the auto dimming center rear view mirror is operating properly. Is there a easy, simple way of knowing. Turning it off and on doesn't seem to make much difference. Thanks for any help you can offer.

p.s. I'm going to have to have the dealership take a look at the garage door opener also. Just can't get that to work. At initial delivery, the sales rep programmed my remote into the car...but it wouldn't work when I got home. I tried several times with several remotes, and even at a friends house. Doesn't work.

Usually, there is a faint green light (visible at night) confirming it is 'on'. It can be turned 'off', but typically works very well: without drawing attention to itself. I have had no problem with any of the Lexus mirrors, though I have twice with the BMW rearview mirror.

I too can't tell if the auto dimming mirror works or not on my Rx400h. I've tried driving with it set to ON and OFF, but don't really notice a difference.

All i know is that i don't get blinded, so it must be working <_<

I too can't tell if the auto dimming mirror works or not on my Rx400h. I've tried driving with it set to ON and OFF, but don't really notice a difference.

All i know is that i don't get blinded, so it must be working <_<

I too, found it hard to tell if the auto tint is working. Try this:

Bring a small hand held vanity mirror with you. When you see someone whose obviously got their brights on (the entire cab lights up) ... look into your hand held mirror, then compare/contrast with your rear view mirror. It's pretty obvious, once you have a regular mirror to compare to.