2004 Ls430 Maintenance

lxs333

Hi, my 2004 LS430 just passed 40K lately and I'm wondering if I should do the 40K Service or just do only filter/oil change to save some money. From the manual itself really not much things need to be replaced but visual inspection on the joints, brakes pads, etc. Main reason I don't feel like doing the 40K service package is because the dealer will charge me 350 bucks and filter/oil change will cost my only 60 bucks. It's a reliable car and I drive it only during weekend.

Appreciate for any advise or best practice that anyone could share at this time!!

Cheers,

Mike.

Hi,

Welcome to the LOC,

According to my book the 45,000 mile A service is inspection mainly but replacement of the oil and filter, engine coolant and AC pollen filter.

I wouldn't like to make any suggestions as to whether you do or don't have the service done at the end of the day it must be your decision but obviously don't put saving money against safety.

Hi, my 2004 LS430 just passed 40K lately and I'm wondering if I should do the 40K Service or just do only filter/oil change to save some money. From the manual itself really not much things need to be replaced but visual inspection on the joints, brakes pads, etc. Main reason I don't feel like doing the 40K service package is because the dealer will charge me 350 bucks and filter/oil change will cost my only 60 bucks. It's a reliable car and I drive it only during weekend.

Appreciate for any advise or best practice that anyone could share at this time!!

Cheers,

Mike.

I got tired of the dealers $80 oil change and $300 minor service deal so stopped going. I do my own oil changes for a little over a year now. I went online and bought a six pack of Toyota oil filters (comes with oil plug gasket), and a few cabin AC filters. For oil I buy 5 qt oil containers whenever its on sale somewhere (Walmart seems to have best price where I live).

40k miles is just an oil change, new cabin a/c media filter (hidden door in back of glove box), and tire rotation. The toughest part for me is getting the car on 4 jack stands so I can rotate tires easily (I need a better and higher lifting floor jack). Takes about an hour start to finish including clean up. Would be a lot easier if I had a lift but spending $2-3k on a lift can buy a lot of dealer priced services.

30k mile multiples are the more significant service intervals. In addition to oil change, tire rotation and new cabin filter they flush brake fluid (although I really question the importance of this). 90k is the real treat because they change the timing belt. So >$1,000 for that one.

Service_Recomendations_Intervals.pdf

As Steve has already suggested, I would have the coolant completely changed if you have not already done so.

The coolant is now over 5 years old, may be loosing its ability to perform and is critical to the cooling system and water pump. You want to keep that pump

as 'happy' as possible. The coolant is one of those time-sensitive as well as mileage dependent fluids. You can do it yourself to save. Use ONLY Toyota coolant.