Is It Just Me, Or Is The Rx400h Slow In Colder Temperatures?

Hey guys.

I've had my Rx400h since May, and have recently noticed a change in power now that the outside temperatures are below freezing. It seems that the Rx400h is just SLOW and underpowered now that it's cold out! I hear the engine rev higher than it usually does even with minimal acceleration, but the car doesn't move like it used to when it was warmer out...

Anyone find this to be true in their Rx400h? Thanks <_<

Hey guys.

I've had my Rx400h since May, and have recently noticed a change in power now that the outside temperatures are below freezing. It seems that the Rx400h is just SLOW and underpowered now that it's cold out! I hear the engine rev higher than it usually does even with minimal acceleration, but the car doesn't move like it used to when it was warmer out...

here in ohio it goes from 90 to zero degrees - i never noticed any change in power - i think there might be a problem with your rx400h - i have a 2007 and it goes just great

Is this when it's fully warmed up? We've had ours for only 2 weeks, it was in the 50's and 60's @ purchase

I can say it does seem like it takes quite a while to fully warm up. By that I mean 15 minutes until it gets to where I get full advantage of the EV mode

Hmm, i guess it's more of an issue before it's warmed up (which like you said, seems to take a good 15 minutes)...

When i start it up after it's been sitting in the cold overnight, this is when i notice the decrease in power. Even though it's in the garage around 40 degrees, i still notice the excess engine noise and power loss.

But as soon as it's warmed up it seems normal... :huh:

cduluk, why don't you install a block heater. I use one when it's colder out, even though the RX is kept in the garage (unheated, but insulated - gets down to around 0 - 5 celsuis no matter how cold it gets outside).

When the vehicle is first started and driven when it's cold, the engine is charging the traction battery, instead of the traction battery assisting the engine. Makes sense when it's colder that the battery will need more charging. Having said that, I don't really notice any difference from summer to winter power, but I have noticed a big 1 -2 km/l worse mileage.

cduluk, why don't you install a block heater. I use one when it's colder out, even though the RX is kept in the garage (unheated, but insulated - gets down to around 0 - 5 celsuis no matter how cold it gets outside).

When the vehicle is first started and driven when it's cold, the engine is charging the traction battery, instead of the traction battery assisting the engine. Makes sense when it's colder that the battery will need more charging. Having said that, I don't really notice any difference from summer to winter power, but I have noticed a big 1 -2 km/l worse mileage.

hmm, would that be dangerous to the engine at all? I like the idea of it just as long as it's not harmful.

I definitely notice the decrease in mileage too, i notice i've been filling up more often now that it's cold <_<

Hey guys.

Certainly battery efficiency (all kinds) will decrease in colder weather ... especially sub zero. Thus, it'll be more likely your traction pack will be low ... not dangerously low ... but it'll be less. In that scenerio, your ICE will divert more HP to bring back charge levels. With less power going to forward movement, you can notice less power ... especially if your stomping harder on the pedal than us hyper milers. That why you'll here the ICE rev high. You're getting NO help from the pack, and less ICE to move forward.