07 350rx - Omg - White Dust!

All I can tell you ( they told me) new part

# 8850148251

So this is my first post on here since I recently purchased my first Lexus. I noticed the white dust on the dash after the first weekend we had the car. I would clean it and as you know it comes back. I called Rallye Lexus today and I am bringing the car in for service on Thursday. The receptionist told me she has only heard of this issue once and I will have to speak to a service rep to go over the issue. I will keep you posted to my experience with this issue and hope it gets resolved. I bought this car to keep my son and pregnant wife safe and I have to say I was pretty upset when I came across this posting over the weekend.

Well, i can tell you EVERY 07-09 Rx out there is experiencing this problem, and some other models as well. My guess is that not many owners are actually complaining about it...

I have a 09RX350, and there was some white dust being produced after I took delivery. At the first service, the dealer changed the air cabin filter, and I have had no problem since (after a period where I assume the dust still in the system blew itself out). Reading through the various posts in this forum, I seem to understand that there are two kinds of 'dust': the 'usual' dust such as enters the car or comes from cloth, and a more uniform and larger-grained dust that could be from the evaporator. Thankfully, I have not had the latter. My recommendation would be to first change the air cabin filter, then see what happens...

this white dust leaves a trail after you run your finger over it. Not just your run of the mill dust. since fixed , mine is gone !

Ok So here we go:

I brought the car in last Thursday to Rallye Lexus on Long Island. I had a brief conversation with on of the service reps and he instructed me that they will look into the white dust problem. He said its very rare and they barely run across it. I did see the sales rep who sold me the car and he listened to my issue like it was the first time he heard about the white dust.

After our conversation, we walked outside where they had a very nice 2010 rx350 loaner for me. I was pretty impressed but like my 07 a little better.

I get a call on Friday morning and they informed me that they will be replacing the evaporator. I have to admit I was shocked!!! I fiqured we would have to play the whole clean the vents and come back in 3 months game with them but they were straight shooters. I am not sure if the fact that I have an infant and a prego wife scared them into acting but I feel this dealership is reputable and actually belives in customer service that they handled the issue. I have to say I was and am very pleased for chosing them as my dealer.

I will try to get back online tomorrow with the part numbers and all the details of the work order. To top off all of this, would you belive it if I tkold you they washed my car and filled my gas tank.. pretty amazing stuff.

Over all I dropped my car off on Thursday night and picked it up Tuesday night.

Ok So here we go:

I brought the car in last Thursday to Rallye Lexus on Long Island. I had a brief conversation with on of the service reps and he instructed me that they will look into the white dust problem. He said its very rare and they barely run across it. I did see the sales rep who sold me the car and he listened to my issue like it was the first time he heard about the white dust.

After our conversation, we walked outside where they had a very nice 2010 rx350 loaner for me. I was pretty impressed but like my 07 a little better.

I get a call on Friday morning and they informed me that they will be replacing the evaporator. I have to admit I was shocked!!! I fiqured we would have to play the whole clean the vents and come back in 3 months game with them but they were straight shooters. I am not sure if the fact that I have an infant and a prego wife scared them into acting but I feel this dealership is reputable and actually belives in customer service that they handled the issue. I have to say I was and am very pleased for chosing them as my dealer.

I will try to get back online tomorrow with the part numbers and all the details of the work order. To top off all of this, would you belive it if I tkold you they washed my car and filled my gas tank.. pretty amazing stuff.

sweet!, glad to hear that customer service lives!

Ok So here we go:

Fantastic! Renews faith in the brand - very happy for you!

Fantastic! Renews faith in the brand - very happy for you!

Disregard my previous post.

We are still having problems with the "white dust" issue, but more importantly, my wife absolutely coughs her brains out when sitting in the front passenger seat of our 07 RX350. Over the last 3 years we have had the air filter (located behind the glove compartment) replaced several times and even had the most recently "redesigned" heater evaporator core installed in the Spring of 2009.

When I saw the thread about a "new part number" for the core, I got excited. However, my Lexus dealer says it is the same as they installed last Spring.

I am taking the car back today. Hopefully, they will put another one in (3-4 day job) and it may last until we get some warm weather again. Our lease is up in August of this year and we are fearful that the 2010 RX may bring us the same problems. Our service agent at Woodfield Lexus says that the 2010 is totally different (except the engine) than our 2007, so it shouldn't be a problem.

We like the RX overall, but we can't go through this ordeal again.

BTW, my wife doesn't cough in any other type of car.

• 3 weeks later...
Does anyone actually have a copy of the TSB that they could post?

Thanks.

that is the problem, no accountabilty of the fact, no TSB I am aware of

With all the problems Toyota is having, I dont know why we have not alerted the media to this problem. This is unsafe for us.

Does anyone actually have a copy of the TSB that they could post?

Thanks.

that is the problem, no accountabilty of the fact, no TSB I am aware of

With all the problems Toyota is having, I dont know why we have not alerted the media to this problem. This is unsafe for us.

Agree, they were pretty laid back when I brought up the fact that the issue was well documented on the web. they did take care of it , but the issue is being covered up

• 2 weeks later...

I agree that this is just another thing they are covering up. I wrote a couple letters to Toyota/Lexus and they would not even acknowledge that owners needed to be notified. I also had the coughing when in the car and racked up quite a few medical bills until I learned of the problem, went to my dealer and insisted they replace the heater core. Haven't had a problem since but still feel that there are others out there having breathing problems and they have no idea it's coming from something inside their car. I have some info at home that I collected back when I wrote them, including a materials handling safety sheet (or something like that) that I will post if I can find. Was initially told the particles were one thing and when I sent the sheet to them they then changed their story to say it was something else.

• 3 months later...

Just wanted to add my experience.

Thanks to all of you on this forum for putting out the info.

I did find the TSB on line at one point but it didn't really matter.

After talking to a friend who worked at Toyota he pointed out that 'anyone can find anything on line and it's impossible for Toyota to respond to everything that customers find on line. Only after an issue becomes well known/acknowledged inside Toyota/Lexus do they address the issue(s).' TSB's are not recalls the problem has to occur and be evident in an individual car before they will address it.

The approach that worked for me, was to finally let the white dust [dust and fibrous threads] build up on the dash and then take it in with an innocent plea... 'I don't know what's coming out of the air-conditioning...' They did replace the evaporator and clean it all out for free.

Bottom line I believe in the end, was I had to really let them see that I was having a problem - my first attempt at saying that I know there is a problem but my dash is fairly clean because I clean the car frequently didn't work - no evidence!

This forum gave me the background info to push on the issue, so Thanks!

Check the interior of your car for scratches or kicks- when Lexus replaced my evap core for this reason they damaged a TON of stuff. Also check the "gaps" at the top (sides) of the dash where it meets the felt windshield pillars. I had a 1/4" gap on each side that wasn't supposed to be there.

• 3 weeks later...