Gen 2.5 Ls400w/nav-pioneer Cd Skips & Freezes

What to do about the Pioneer CD changer on a '98-00 LS400 with Nav when you know the Laser is on way out? My unit has become VERY tempermental. It runs fine fo r5-10 minutes, then skips while playing a CD or freezes up altogether, especially in hot weather. It also will absolutely not play any burnt CDs. I tried replacing with a unit from a '99 GS400, but the Connectors wern't same (my unit has a big white rectangular Conn with a lot of pin outs) and too much hassle to attempt a Connector swap without soldering and making a mistake in wiring. My unit had a 1998 date stamp on it. Unfortunately, I didn't write down the model number before the guy reinstalled my unit.

Since the aftermarket is very small, there are almost no choices. I have done a ton of research, I do not see any non-IPod alternatives to replace the factory CD changer. Not interested in going that iPod route. I'm old school.

I just want a solid aftermarket CD changer I can hook up in trunk that can bypass the Pioneer. Rest of the system sounds great, and I am not interested in yanking out the Nav. There has to be someone here who has experienced the same situation. What are my choices, if any? Can I get a universal CD changer (Pioneer makes several) that will hook up to the Nav?

I'm sure someone will just tell me go to the junkyard...

Someone on this board posted a link to a repair center. I do not know anything about them, but they say they do the repair for $345. Maybe there are other shops that work on original equipment car stereos too if you google the model and "repair".

here's the link I seen posted:

http://carstereohelp.com/lexus.htm

at least it's a starting point.

What to do about the Pioneer CD changer on a '98-00 LS400 with Nav when you know the Laser is on way out? My unit has become VERY tempermental. It runs fine fo r5-10 minutes, then skips while playing a CD or freezes up altogether, especially in hot weather. It also will absolutely not play any burnt CDs. I tried replacing with a unit from a '99 GS400, but the Connectors wern't same (my unit has a big white rectangular Conn with a lot of pin outs) and too much hassle to attempt a Connector swap without soldering and making a mistake in wiring. My unit had a 1998 date stamp on it. Unfortunately, I didn't write down the model number before the guy reinstalled my unit.

Since the aftermarket is very small, there are almost no choices. I have done a ton of research, I do not see any non-IPod alternatives to replace the factory CD changer. Not interested in going that iPod route. I'm old school.

I just want a solid aftermarket CD changer I can hook up in trunk that can bypass the Pioneer. Rest of the system sounds great, and I am not interested in yanking out the Nav. There has to be someone here who has experienced the same situation. What are my choices, if any? Can I get a universal CD changer (Pioneer makes several) that will hook up to the Nav?

What year is your LS ? 98,99,00 ? I may have a changer you are looking for.

1998. Hows the overall condition. And out curiousity, what did you replace your unit with?

Someone on this board posted a link to a repair center. I do not know anything about them, but they say they do the repair for $345. Maybe there are other shops that work on original equipment car stereos too if you google the model and "repair".

here's the link I seen posted:

http://carstereohelp.com/lexus.htm

at least it's a starting point.

Bob, thanks very much, I did already have this site bookmarked, but they no longer service my unit. I did just find a refurbised Changer and just bought it. Hope that will take care of my issue. Appreciate the help! Have a great Thanksgiving!

• 2 weeks later...

DC Fish IS Da Man! Got a refurbished unit from him delivered Friday & installed today that fit like a charm and sounds fantastic. I owe this guy big time! I am a happy camper once again! No more skip & freeze.

What I learned for those of you facing a similar situation: Not all of the factory units are interchangeable per models. The unit I first located was form a '99GS400 and the linking Connector in rear is not the same, even though the unit LOOKS the same. Choices for a replacement are VERY limited if, like me, you don't want to yank out all the factory stuff and you have Nav. The whole bottom glove box assy has to come out to have room to access the Pioneer changer unit. And if you an do the swap yourself, more power to ya. If not, plan to pay $50.00 at a stereo shop for the work. Otherwise, it's plug and play.

Thanks again, David!