Locking The Center-diff

T4RBoarder

I just bought a '00 LX on friday and so far I love it butttt...

There is one thing that has really got me stumped after buying it. When I was on the test drive I tested locking the center diff and I could feel it lock but no lights came on the dash and the "VSC OFF" didn't illuminate either. I can feel the 4WD being engaged but those bulbs do just not light up...and the VSC isn't burnt out cause it comes on to self check when I start the car. I have no idea what's up

• 3 weeks later...

Assuming that the 4WD lock is actually working, the problem seems to be with the electronics. Indicators on the dashboard works with a sensor, and every sensor passes the ECU. Simpliest thing to do is to "reset" the computer (and sensors) which is to disconnect the battery. There are several self-checks that occur when the system gets disconnected by the power source and suspension is one of them. Take the negative side off first than the positive, leave it alone for awhile, and reconnect again in the reversive order. If the problem continues to occur, I'd consult the local technician. Good luck.

-Dave

I actually figured out what it was...there is a switch on the side of the transfer case that tells the ecu that the diff is locked. If the center diff is not locked often enough that switch can stick so I had to exercise the diff lock a bit and it starting working perfectly.

• 2 weeks later...