Antenna Options

trice

2004 LX 470

Every time I answer the phone the antenna goes back down and when I hang the phone up it comes back up. I know this is going to be a problem in the future. Any ideas on what I could do instead of just getting a fixed antenna?

Thanks,

Troy

I assume you are talking about the antenna retracting while using the Bluetooth phone feature built into your navigation system. It does sound odd that the radio antenna is lowered during a phone call -- maybe it's to slightly reduce noise while you're on the phone.

If the antenna hasn't failed in six years, why are you concerned? Besides, an entire new OEM Lexus power antenna assembly for an 04 LX is not all that expensive -- $220 on parts.com -- and aftermarket is likely even cheaper. Heck, if the antenna motor wears out and you don't want to replace it, you might be able to manually pull up the antenna staff until it's where you want it. I suppose you could cut or disconnect the antenna's power wire ... but why?

By 2004, I think SUV's were the only Lexus vehicles that had power retractable radio antennas -- the rest were either fixed or imprinted on the rear window like on my 00 LS. The power radio antenna on my first Lexus car automatically extended/retracted slightly depending on the frequency of the radio station I was listening to and whether the radio was on FM or AM. Does the antenna on your LX do that?

I assume you are talking about the antenna retracting while using the Bluetooth phone feature built into your navigation system. It does sound odd that the radio antenna is lowered during a phone call -- maybe it's to slightly reduce noise while you're on the phone.

If the antenna hasn't failed in six years, why are you concerned? Besides, an entire new OEM Lexus power antenna assembly for an 04 LX is not all that expensive -- $220 on parts.com -- and aftermarket is likely even cheaper. Heck, if the antenna motor wears out and you don't want to replace it, you might be able to manually pull up the antenna staff until it's where you want it. I suppose you could cut or disconnect the antenna's power wire ... but why?

By 2004, I think SUV's were the only Lexus vehicles that had power retractable radio antennas -- the rest were either fixed or imprinted on the rear window like on my 00 LS. The power radio antenna on my first Lexus car automatically extended/retracted slightly depending on the frequency of the radio station I was listening to and whether the radio was on FM or AM. Does the antenna on your LX do that?

Don't forget about the SC430!! Which still has a power antenna!!! The power antenna on my LX470 still works fine. And it's 12 years old.