I Guess A Lot Of You Don't Like The Rx ,new Or Old

I'll chime in here; I've had my RX400h for 25 months. As I was driving around yesterday, it occurred to me that I wasn't getting my normal "two-year itch" to get a new vehicle. That says a lot since that is my typical pattern - get something new every two years.

Sure, there are some things about the RX I do not like, mainly the typical Toyota "less than ideal" NAV system. Lexus dealers overcharging for maintenance costs can be outrageous, too. But other than those, I'm prefectly satisfied. In fact, I'm not sure what to do in 11 months when the lease is up. I do NOT care for the styling revision Lexus did on the 2010 model, although it might grow on me.

IMO, RxRey has had some "interesting" input on this forum for years and I've generally appreciated his comments in the past.

I am getting cold feet about purchasing a Lexus. After reading this and other forums, I am really starting to feel that Lexus has become the elitist *expletive* that it set out to never be. Rewind the clock back just 15/20 years and Lexus was sitting in the same spot as the other car cos that Lexus Owners now snub their noses at and look down on. Many look down on Infiniti and Hyundai Genesis. Those companies remind me so much of the early Lexus years, it's not even funny. Luxury cars are about a statement. I thought Lexus was about quality (which it is to a point), but I refuse to be defined by the haggard masses that pick up a Lexus because it has Lexus on it. It's sad to see that the first thing out of some people's mouth's is "it's not a Lexus". Well a Lexus is not a Mercedes Benz, no matter how much Lexus tries, they will never have their look updated. Lexus quite frankly still looks the same since 1995 (the RX with holding) and they handle like slugs compared to the germans, but you dare not utter that on a Lexus board. Or the sheer fact that Lexus takes a cheap chasis and tries to pass it off as a Lexus.That is really "GM" of them.

The Elitist attitude doesn't feel good when you are on the receiving end of it. I simply will not purchase a BMW because of the type of people that drive it. I don't want to be associated with that type of attitude (check out a 3-series board if you think I am joking) Many may have questioned why I haven't bought a GS450h yet... Well up until 2010 model year the GS450h had the oldest Nav in it of any 30k+ car. Didn't even have traffic or anything else that the sub 40k cars are providing. I refuse to plunk down 50k+ for a car with 10 year old tech in it. It does not even have Bluetooth audio streaming (a2dp). You can get that on a Ford! Lexus leather seems cheap to me. It may be because of the ventilated seats, but the leather doesn't feel durable. Too thin at points. I don't think that belongs in a 50k car. Sit in a MB E- Class or BMW 5- Series and tell me that leather doesn't feel better. Then on top of that can I get more color choices (even on the non hybrid GS there are few color choices). Can you guess one of the most comfortable cars I have ever sat in?... A Hyundai Genesis. that almost 30k less than a Lexus and looks better too. Sorry for the rant, ban me if need be, but I won't take back my feelings on the state of Lexus and it's owners.

Well, I have owned 3 Lexuses, all three of them '92s, (ES300, LS400, and SC300) and I can definitely say that the quality on these vehicles is outstanding. It's amazing how you can get into a 15 or 20 year old vehicle with 200k+ miles and everything still works as it did when it rolled off the assembly line in Japan. As many others in this forum have expressed, What makes Lexus so popular is its quality and reliability, which are both superior to German cars.

My uncle owned several German cars and had many problems with them, now he says that he will never buy a German car again, and he is in love with Lexuses. Many people are starting to make the change from mercedes and BMW to lexus. In about 20 to 30 years, I guarantee that you will see early 90s Lexuses still on the road with 500k+ miles.

Now, back to the original topic, Im not a big fan of the RX because im not a fan of SUVs, but I've driven my uncle's and it is very nice riding and very comfortable. It has almost 200k miles and still feels silky smooth.

I'll chime in here; I've had my RX400h for 25 months. As I was driving around yesterday, it occurred to me that I wasn't getting my normal "two-year itch" to get a new vehicle. That says a lot since that is my typical pattern - get something new every two years.

This your first Lexus? They really don't age like other vehicles...I always say they never give you a reason to replace them.

IMO, RxRey has had some "interesting" input on this forum for years and I've generally appreciated his comments in the past.

I agree, I also like Rey. If he wants to post here...or anywhere though and be happy he'll have to come to grips with the fact that people who don't share his opinions are also going to post here...and we don't discriminate against our members based on their opinions provided they express them in a polite manner.

Rey's always welcome here...his departure was entirely his own choosing.