Lower Radiator Hose, Ls400, 1990

lsrxlex

Hi all,

I have a 1990 LS400 with 305k miles. I commute ~100 miles one-way daily from San Jose to Sacramento, and get back home at about 11PM on a regular basis.

I'm not sure I need to replace the lower radiator hose or not (just for cheap insurance). (I checked visually and didn't see any cracks on the hose.)

I appreciate any inputs.

I knind of know what you mean on this one. My 1990 probably has the original radiator hose but when I look at it (and I mean under as well) it still looks really good. I had the Toyota dealer check and they said they were fine as well. I guess that the "if it ain't broke, I ain't fixin' it" method falls into play here. Pretty sweet car to commute in isn't it.

I knind of know what you mean on this one. My 1990 probably has the original radiator hose but when I look at it (and I mean under as well) it still looks really good. I had the Toyota dealer check and they said they were fine as well. I guess that the "if it ain't broke, I ain't fixin' it" method falls into play here. Pretty sweet car to commute in isn't it.

Wow, 305K miles. Amazing. What all have you had to do to the car? Any issues now, even minor?

Hi all,

I have a 1990 LS400 with 305k miles. I commute ~100 miles one-way daily from San Jose to Sacramento, and get back home at about 11PM on a regular basis.

I'm not sure I need to replace the lower radiator hose or not (just for cheap insurance). (I checked visually and didn't see any cracks on the hose.)

I appreciate any inputs.

As VB mentions, have a toyota dealer check them (don't know if Lexus would give you a freebee on this one). If you're going to check it yourself, look for soft spots, especially at elbows. Also look for small cracks at the ends of the hose, in the clamped areas.

Wow, 305K miles. Amazing. What all have you had to do to the car? Any issues now, even minor?

Thanks.

Here what I have changed (besides regular fluids and filters changes) : LCD display on dash board, 2 PS pumps, 1 alternator, 2 racks+pinions ( the 1st time happened before I heard of this forum.), (I covered alternator with sheet metal now), starter, heater valve, brake master cylinder, 2 front calipers, 2 sets of front rotors, hood struts, engine and trans mounts, all bushings including those of the UCA ( still have the original UCA, but I think the ball joints are bad now), lower CA , 4 shock absorbers, recovery tank and coolant level sensor, (Koyo) radiator, 4 door speakers, 3 times of changing: timing belts + WP + pulleys + serpentine belts (last time included: cam and crank seals).

I had the 2nd timing belt change at a Toyota dealer to save money, but I was not happy of the service and knowledge.

They didn't know where to disconnect the radiator from the recovery tank, so apparently they disconnected it at the short copper tubing near the top of the radiator, and when reassembling they didn't have the new copper/brass washer, so they used RUBBER washer. Of course, I didn't notice the coolant loss until it's too late to complain. I ended up replacing the radiator myself.

My problems now, since you asked, are: front seat leather cracked, window control switches (driver's side), all bushings (again), wind noise ( I have to get some days off to take care of this, since I am very slow- 65 year old), doors rattle when closing with lowered window ( need more days off...), engine noise is getting louder and louder.

For this, I had a Lexus tech listened to it, and he said he didn't hear anything unsual, except noise at 1 or 2 exhaust valves (passenger side). But he said he would leave it alone, and after 6 years with Lexus, he's never knew any customers wanted the valve job done because "the car is too old" .

Hi all,

I appreciate any inputs.

Most mechanics would say it's long overdue. But, my LS400 is a 1992 and no problems with any hoses. I'd leave them alone.