Exhaust Leaks At The Cat' To Exhaust

Erich

My 1991 is leaking BAD on both sides. This happened ever since i had a tow almost 2 years ago. I have tried several times to fix with new gaskets...they leak even worse. I have cut bolts off and replaced those as well. I really don't want to replace the catalytic converters. I have looked at several possibilities to replacing the joints. I fear if i start taking this apart I will break more and have to replace more.

If I find i find I have to replace the cats i might just buy the headers and make my own exhaust stem and illegally take all my cats off and the 2 mufflers and just leave 2 mufflers.

I have used exhaust gasket maker with OEM exhaust seals...one time even doubling them up.

Anyone else have the same problems?

Have you changed your mtr/tranny mounts in the past. I had this issue as well, turned out both mtr mounts were bad and anytime I used the kickdown hard it would flex the motor ever slightly enough to evetually wear out the gaskets.

Worth a peak.

Have you changed your mtr/tranny mounts in the past. I had this issue as well, turned out both mtr mounts were bad and anytime I used the kickdown hard it would flex the motor ever slightly enough to evetually wear out the gaskets.

Worth a peak.

good answer. I suspect this may be a problem.

I i think i will look into this.

My 1991 is leaking BAD on both sides. This happened ever since i had a tow almost 2 years ago. I have tried several times to fix with new gaskets...they leak even worse. I have cut bolts off and replaced those as well. I really don't want to replace the catalytic converters. I have looked at several possibilities to replacing the joints. I fear if i start taking this apart I will break more and have to replace more.

If I find i find I have to replace the cats i might just buy the headers and make my own exhaust stem and illegally take all my cats off and the 2 mufflers and just leave 2 mufflers.

I have used exhaust gasket maker with OEM exhaust seals...one time even doubling them up.

Anyone else have the same problems?

Checking your motor mounts is a good idea. If they check out ok, then some bending might have happened. Check for a flush fit. If not, you can try a good muffler shop that can fit you with a stretch of flex pipe to connect your pipes to the cats. Of course you'd have to cut a section out of the catback pipes. Cheaper than going the header route. Also, I would never double up on gaskets. If there's any distortion at the joints, no gasket can provide an adequate seal with the kind of vibration/flexing that happens. The tow two years ago sounds a bit too coincidental not to be suspect. Those operators can easily rip out a chin spoiler on a high ramp, push back/scrape your exhaust, misalign the suspension, dent rims on potholes, scratch the paint, and on and on. Check for telltale marks. If you can find where the prob started, it migtht help with a solution.