How Attached Are You To Your Car(s)?

denslexusgx470

I was wondering how many of you are attached to your cars? I know it's a really bad thing to be attached (physically, emotionally, whatever!) to any material item but I only realized how much I'm attached to my cars just yesterday. Yesterday I made the biggest change in my car-history life! My childhood memory automobile, our old 1997 Honda Odyssey, was finally transferred to a new owner. Sadly though that car will not be happy with the new owner as I heard they are going to beat the s%&* out of it :cries: :cries: :cries: :cries: :cries:

The car wasnt a car that many really liked. It was considered a mini-van, but it lacked sliding doors. It was good on gas, but it had a slow 4cyl engine. It was a practical car come to think of it. It didn't turn heads, but it was practical in the sense that in the 12 years of owning it, I actually got to use the 3rd row seats like 5 times! LOL. Most of the time they were folded flat thus providing an ENORMOUS amount of cargo space in the back.

Lately as we have acquired other cars, the Odyssey seemed like a car that just wouldn't go. Plus no one in our house wanted to drive it anymore, because obviously everyone wants to drive a newer car lol. Now (fortunately and I'm very thankful) our garage seems to be a little "crowded" so we decided to clear up some space. We realized that the Odyssey is only worth a certain amount, but if the A/C breaks within a year, to replace the A/C is more than what the car is worth. BTW this car has 162,300 miles on the clock, PURE CITY miles. Technically that is "abused" but with my TLC, it gets it's proper maintenance ASAP and cosmetically it was in better shape than most cars that are half it's age.

I believe the same TLC and attachment goes for the GX as that's the next car in the garage that we've kept the longest aside from the Odyssey (going to be 7 years for the GX)..

post-9735-1255585430_thumb.jpg

post-9735-1255585513_thumb.jpg

post-9735-1255585580_thumb.jpg

post-9735-1255585716_thumb.jpg

With the exception of the Lincoln Navigator I just traded in for my GS430, I am ALWAYS attached to them, as long as they are good cars.

I still miss my 2001 LS430 and smile when I see an LS drive by. It was the BEST car I ever had. I got rid of it for the Navigator (for a job I wound up losing). When my friend saw my GS yesterday, she said you HAVE to be happy. You've always been a Lexus guy!

My wife is REALLY attached to her 2001 Corvette. We have about a 4 inch think service folder on it and thankfully we got the extended warranty when we bought it (at a Lexus dealer) with 5,000 miles on it. The car had over $20,000 in warranty work (mainly electronics). THe car now has over 130,000 miles. She refuses to get rid of it. I just look at as an unreliable, money pit, but will admit, whe we take it out of storage in April (we just started storing it last year as it was her daily driver, even in Illinois winters) it is a blast to drive. Inevitably, something needs service and the reality sets back in. With ME abyway! ;)

The only cars I've had that I was attached to were my 2004 VW Phaeton and my 2006 VW Phaeton. I like my new 2009 LS but it pales to my Phaeton. You ask any Phaeton owner and unless they got a lemon they will say the same. And many are ex BMW, Mercedes owners. Even though they still make them, they quit selling them in the US market in 06 but are talking about bringing them back.

Here's an overview:

The Phaeton was conceived by Ferdinand Piëch, the then chairman of Volkswagen Group. Piëch wanted Volkswagen engineers to create a car that would overwhelmingly surpass the German prestige market leaders, Mercedes-Benz and BMW. The decision to release the Phaeton was, in part, a response to Mercedes's decision to compete directly with Volkswagen in the European marketplace with the low-cost A-Class. It was also intended to support the Volkswagen brand image, since the most expensive versions of lesser models, such as the Golf GTI, were starting to cost almost as much as equivalently-sized prestige brands.

Initial development of the Phaeton, given the internal project code VW611, began with Piëch giving his engineers a list of ten parameters the car needed to fulfill. Most of these specifications were not made known to the public, but a number of them were told to automotive reporters. One of them was that the Phaeton should be capable of being driven all day at 300 kilometres per hour (186 mph) with an exterior temperature of 50 °C (122 °F) whilst maintaining the interior temperature at 22 °C (72 °F). Piëch requested this even though the Phaeton's top speed was electronically limited to 250 kilometres per hour (155.3 mph).[2] Another requirement was that the car should possess torsional rigidity of 37,000 Nm/degree.

The Phaeton's platform, the Volkswagen Group D1 platform, is shared with the Bentley Continental GT and Bentley Continental Flying Spur. Certain systems, such as the transmission and some internal combustion engines, are also shared with the Audi A8. The D1 is a stand-alone steel platform, and was specifically developed for the Phaeton and Bentley Continental. It is commonly confused with Audi's D3 platform, which is an all-aluminium-based, instead of the D1's steel platform.

As of 2005, the Phaeton has the longest wheelbase in the Volkswagen Passenger Car line.

The Phaeton is hand-assembled in an eco-friendly factory with a glass exterior, the Transparent Factory (German: Gläserne Manufaktur) in Dresden, Germany. This factory also assembled Bentley Continental Flying Spur vehicles destined for the European market until October 2006, when all assembly of the Bentley products was transferred to Crewe, England.

The Phaeton body is fabricated and painted at the large Volkswagen works at Zwickau, Germany, and the completed bodies are then transported about 100 km by special road transport vehicles to the Transparent Factory. Most Phaeton engines, the W12 being the notable exception, are built at the VW/Porsche/Audi engine plant in Győr, Hungary.