Rx400h "gs/es Hybrid" Steering Wheel Upgrade *pics*

thanks guys :D I think it was worth the effort too :)

Hmm, taking the steering wheel off is a bit of a challenge at first, but after removing and installing them maybe 20 times, you learn to do it in your sleep lol. The hardest part is getting the tools needed. You need a puller, appropriate bolts, the appropriate torx bit, and ratchet set.

You need to remove the neg terminal of the battery before starting, so the computer doesn't get confused. Then remove the plastic "covers" on the left and right side of the steering wheel to gain access to the torx screws (that hold the airbag on). After they're removed, you can remove the airbag and unplug it. At this point you need to remove a rather large nut holding the steering wheel onto the center rod. When this nut is off, you need to pull the wheel. It's hard to explain "how to" pull it, but the process is generally universal for all wheels, i'm sure there are pics online everywhere... Just pull until you hear the 'pop', then remove the puller and the wheel should pop off. Just remember where the steering wheel is centered, so when you're done working on it, you can install it centered.

I have all the tools you'll need, if you want to borrow them for a few days that'd be ok with me :)

Remove Replace Lexus RX330, RX350, RX400h steering wheel and air bag.

I just switched steering wheel on my RX400h too, and I want to add something to the instructions.

1. You don't have to disconnect the battery negative terminal. Under the driver side dash, there is a fuse box(looked up the location in the manual). Unplug fuse #72, a 10A fuse). This one control the ignition, SRS air bags system, etc. Wait at lease 90 seconds before working on air bags. This way will save you some time to reinitialize settings.

2. When unplugging the wiring harness from the air bag, make sure to unplug from the end that connects to the air bag. There is a yellow tab looks like an X on top side of the each plug. You should pull this tab up using your finger nails. This will unlock the plug. I made the mistake of: 1.trying to unplug the wire harness from the other end of the harness before realizing I need to look at the repair manual DVD first; 2. use a flat blade screw driver to pry one of the plug off and then find out I can unlock the plug.

I got the Repair manual DVD on Ebay. It's a great source of information, but it is geared for Automotive Techs, so it doesn't mention the little tab on the plug.

I put in the keywords to help others to find this posting if they are doing a search on internet.

Thank you CDULUK. I had learned a lot from your detailed postings.

Yeah i still agree disconnecting the battery is the safest way.

The car's prepared for a disconnected battery, it knows what to reset after this procedure. It many not be prepared for the airbag fuse to be taken out.

I'm not sure if it would need a reset via this method... and i wouldn't want to find out at highway speeds with a car facing me in my lane :(

• 2 months later...

After doing the ISC Learning procedure my gas milegae jumped up from 22-23 mpg to 29 mpg

It was only done about 50 mileS ago but enougH time has elapsed to see that its dramatically affected my gas mileage

Thanks Lemon for the tech tip!

:D

I probably would still disconnect the battery to be sure. Better to reset all the setting than have an airbag explode in your face IMHO...

I got the instruction of pulling the fuse from the Service CD, so if Toyota think that's the way to go, it's good enough for me.