Timing Belt Replacement: Diy Or Dealer? Oem Or Aftermarket?

Crusty1

My 01 Ls430 has 89,340 miles and I'm looking at the 90k service with the timing belt. The dealer will do just the timing belt for $650-750 depending on what they encouter. What else should be done at 90k? I've heard water pump gasket or entire replacement. Local Toyota dealership will do TB alone for $450 but they don't do a lot of Lexus, just the Tundra V8s. I'm fairly mechancal (do all my regular oil, tranny, belt, brakes, etc.) and wonder if I could just save the money and do it myself.

Also, I see a lot of choices for replacement belts: Who makes the OEM belt? Is it Dayco? And is there a better choice than OEM such as aftermarket co. like Gates?

Love the car and just want to do right by her.

My 01 Ls430 has 89,340 miles and I'm looking at the 90k service with the timing belt. The dealer will do just the timing belt for $650-750 depending on what they encouter. What else should be done at 90k? I've heard water pump gasket or entire replacement. Local Toyota dealership will do TB alone for $450 but they don't do a lot of Lexus, just the Tundra V8s. I'm fairly mechancal (do all my regular oil, tranny, belt, brakes, etc.) and wonder if I could just save the money and do it myself.

Also, I see a lot of choices for replacement belts: Who makes the OEM belt? Is it Dayco? And is there a better choice than OEM such as aftermarket co. like Gates?

Love the car and just want to do right by her.

we just finished ours, on the 3rd: used OEM parts.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=59947

post-5365-1252874444_thumb.jpg

Wow the front looks a lot cleaner than The Tundra/Sequoia one I did. Looks like it is easier........ Helps not have that fan bracket over everything on that engine.