Update On Speaker Installation

rpm52

A few weeks back I posted the findings from my 95 SC-400. Having originally thought it was the amp, i.e. limited sound from the sub, and no sound on the left., replaced it. No joy. After removing the rear deck found both the 4" speakers to be wasted away. Wasted away meaning that there was no foam between the speaker cone and the metal housing itself. After replacing them, the sub came to life. Today, I just finished replacing the front two door speakers (also 4 inch as on the rear deck) and found those also to have no foam between the speaker cone and the metal housing!!! Nothing!!! Nada!!! I used Boston Acoutics S45's in all locations and they fit like a glove. The sound is truely fantastic. Guess over years of wear we often get used to degragated sound because it happens so slow. Now.......my sound rocks again!!!!! Thanks to all who posted on this forum regarding removal and disposal. Oh.....by the way......replacing the speakers in both door panals took about 3 beers (sorry, about 2 hrs total) and the rear deck about the same. I recommend the S45's due to there great fit, and also the reasonable price. We're again rockin. Take care, Ron

Your off to a good start. The PO of my 92 SC400 had installed Kenwood speakers in the doors and hat shelf in an effort to improve the sound. He probably did, but when the amp died I decided to install a modern sound system. I installed a JVC 700 series dual din head unit in the dash and then replaced the amp and disc changer with a pair so Sony Xplod single and quad channels amplifiers by building a sub-floor and vertical mount for the amplifiers. No trunk space was lost in this modification. I kept the Kenwood speakers because they are rated at 160 Watts, and I also kept the factory subwoofer because I could not find anything that would fit in it's place. I still have the Sony Xplod subwoofer in the garage. The sound improvement was dramatic.

Recently the car was hit in the rear and totaled. I removed the sound system components, including the Kenwood speakers that were already in place. I found the subwoofer amp was just barely cracked on the input level control and it was plenty. That is probably why I did not blow the speaker. I will install them in my next car, and probably use the Xplod sub speaker in the garage too if I don't get an SC.

Now I either need to find another nice SC with a tan interior or sell the leather interior kit that arrived a few days before the car was totaled. Time will tell.

A few weeks back I posted the findings from my 95 SC-400. Having originally thought it was the amp, i.e. limited sound from the sub, and no sound on the left., replaced it. No joy. After removing the rear deck found both the 4" speakers to be wasted away. Wasted away meaning that there was no foam between the speaker cone and the metal housing itself. After replacing them, the sub came to life. Today, I just finished replacing the front two door speakers (also 4 inch as on the rear deck) and found those also to have no foam between the speaker cone and the metal housing!!! Nothing!!! Nada!!! I used Boston Acoutics S45's in all locations and they fit like a glove. The sound is truely fantastic. Guess over years of wear we often get used to degragated sound because it happens so slow. Now.......my sound rocks again!!!!! Thanks to all who posted on this forum regarding removal and disposal. Oh.....by the way......replacing the speakers in both door panals took about 3 beers (sorry, about 2 hrs total) and the rear deck about the same. I recommend the S45's due to there great fit, and also the reasonable price. We're again rockin. Take care, Ron

• 1 month later...

hay i got a 1995 SC300 for sale red on tan with 140k runs great with replaced CD, amp lexus battery, rear brakes rear upper control arms. im asking $5000.00 you can see it in autotrader.com the car is in rochester, ny