Blown Ml Sub - Options?

branshew

My Mark Levinson sub is blown (or so it sounds). Everyone on eBay is asking $350+ for a used replacement. I'm not sure that the sound quality is really that good (or could ever really be that good inside a moving vehicle) to warrant that kind of price on a used ML sub. Unless there is a reason not to, I was going to look aftermarket for a used one. My questions are this:

1) Where is the amp located? (I want to confirm I don't have a loose wire or something else)

2) What Ohm rating is the factory ML sub?

3) What RMS wattage should I use on a replacement

4) Any thoughts or recommendations on a decent replacement?

Parts.com has a new ML sub (part number 86160-0W520) for an 02 ES for $357.42.

Here is a diagram showing the part number: http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_U_2002_LEXU...EAGKA_8602.html

Amp location is shown here: http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_U_2002_LEXU...EAGKA_8601.html

Parts.com has a new ML sub (part number 86160-0W520) for an 02 ES for $357.42.

Here is a diagram showing the part number: http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_U_2002_LEXU...EAGKA_8602.html

Amp location is shown here: http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_U_2002_LEXU...EAGKA_8601.html

Thanks. Interesting that the used ones I have seen on eBay are more expensieve than new. I was going to try to pull the rear deck this weekend to get access to the speaker. It may just be the foam surround that is dryrotted or torn (which is a good possibility based on what I am hearing). If so, I'll get a $20 repair kit and fix it.

I'll try to remember to post some DIY info.

Thanks. Interesting that the used ones I have seen on the eBay are more expensieve than new. I was going to try to pull the rear deck this weekend to get access to the speaker. It may just be the foam surround that is dryrotted or torn (which is a good possibility based on what I am hearing). If so, I'll get a $20 repair kit and fix it.

I'll try to remember to post some DIY info.

If you replace/fix this, please post some pictures of the process (removing rear deck etc). A lot of people including me have this blown sub problem on the ES. Thanks!

I am a little dissapointed in what I found today when I took out the sub (I'll post a DIY once I can get pictures together). The subwoofer has a paper cone and low quality foam surround (which was torn). The cardboard dome in the center is starting to detach from the cone. I'm no audio engineer, but we're dealing with a moving vehicle here that is exposed to forces of motion and extreme temperature fluctuations. Seems to me that would require something more durable. With all of the advances of materials science in the last 2 decades, I would have thought that ML would have made a better showing.

At this point. I'm not sure that what I am seeing is worth the time and effort of re-foaming. I think I am going to re-glue the tear. I'll put it in and test it before re-assembling everything. If it sounds decent and can handle a little volume I'll let it fly.

I have seen numerous posts from people who experienced the same issue. Seems like using a glue gun solved the problem, at least for a while. I have yet to perform this fix myself so I can't speak from my own experience.

I am a little dissapointed in what I found today when I took out the sub (I'll post a DIY once I can get pictures together). The subwoofer has a paper cone and low quality foam surround (which was torn). The cardboard dome in the center is starting to detach from the cone. I'm no audio engineer, but we're dealing with a moving vehicle here that is exposed to forces of motion and extreme temperature fluctuations. Seems to me that would require something more durable. With all of the advances of materials science in the last 2 decades, I would have thought that ML would have made a better showing.

At this point. I'm not sure that what I am seeing is worth the time and effort of re-foaming. I think I am going to re-glue the tear. I'll put it in and test it before re-assembling everything. If it sounds decent and can handle a little volume I'll let it fly.