Power Steering Vacuum Hoses?

stroker

On my 91LS I have noticed there are 2 hoses coming up from the pump, one is attached to the intake manifold and the other is not connected but is plugged. I have noticed some white smoke from time to time from the exhaust and wonder if the PS fluid is being sucked in through the intake and out the exhaust. I have added about an ounce or two a couple of times of fluid but cannot see any fluid anywhere leaking. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks, B

these hoses connect to an idle up valve that works to increase rpm a bit during turning the wheels. the valve is known to leak and suck p/s fluid in and therefore into the intake, causing smoke.

if i remember right from older threads the smoke tends to be blue.

Try a search there had been a few threads on this issue

Hi Stroker,

The number to the part you need is 17630-16040 and it lists for 87.75 at the Lexus dealership. (That is either the list price or my price I can't remember which. I buy stuff through the shop I work at.)

I haven't changed mine yet but I will be doing so in the next few weeks.

I read that you can change it in about 10-15 minutes if you go from the bottom of your vehicle.

Mine blows the smoke, kind of white and blue mixed and sucks power steering fluid. I have to add fluid about once every week to week and a half.

I'm looking forward to getting mine fixed.

I heard some people just block theirs off and claim it still works OK, but I would rather go back original.

Jerry

Hi Stroker,

I heard some people just block theirs off and claim it still works OK, but I would rather go back original.

Jerry

If you block off the line to the intake, you lose the idle up for parking maneuvers. Stick with the original design.