Power Window Issues

DuaneG

The back window on the driver side will roll down but not up. It started a year ago taking a long time to roll up, but now the button will not bring the window up. The button works fine to bring the window down. please help.

DuaneG

first, does the master switch on the driver door operate it? and how about the switch on the rear door its self? do they work the same way??? if so it is probably the motor.

I can tell by your question that you are not very mechanically inclined, so, probably the best/cheapest way is to go to a salvage yard and buy a switch for the back door, plug it in and see if it works, if not ask them if you can trade it in on the window motor.

first, does the master switch on the driver door operate it? and how about the switch on the rear door its self? do they work the same way??? if so it is probably the motor.

I can tell by your question that you are not very mechanically inclined, so, probably the best/cheapest way is to go to a salvage yard and buy a switch for the back door, plug it in and see if it works, if not ask them if you can trade it in on the window motor.

1.. I am actually very mechanically inclined. I "dumb" down my question so that everyone can understand what I am trying to actually ask without having to produce a Lexus dictionary.

2. Thanks for the infomation.

Let's try this again. I am trying to determine if the motor is going out on the driver-side rear window or just the switch. The switch brings the window down fine, just not up. I had to pull up on the switch very hard to make the window come up, previously, but now it is not working at all. Down has never been- and is still not- a problem. The drive master switch does the same thing (down, but not up), but I researched on this site and come to the conclusion that driver door issue is not related to the passenger door issue.

Please advise.

sometimes the switches will get oxidation in them on the contact points, restricting the voltage going to the motor. pull the rear switch out and see if this is your problem. I have not had a lexus switch apart, but have cleaned many others, sometimes just scraping them with a knife across the contact points.

dont just use a test light, check the voltage. and also see if the window is sticking in the down position.

good luck.

If motor works in one direction it sounds like the motor is probably OK. Naturally the mechanical load is a little higher (resulting in higher motor current draw) to raise it than lower it but in general it is pretty similar.

The motor is a DC motor so depending how it is polarized will dictate wether it goes up or down. The switch in addition to turning power on and off also swaps the polarity to the motor.

The questions/ideas I would have is

1) Is the motor stalled (powered but somehow jammed and unable to move window up. This could be a mechanical problem such as a sticky mechanism or motor shaft, or electrical as in a worn switch (dirty or worn contacts unable to pass enough current to the motor), or another electrical such as the motors brushes being worn and unable to pass enough current to raise the window. The symptom will be maybe some slight movement or noise but no significant travel. If this is the case can you somehow assist the mechanism by grabbing an edge of the window and assisting in a lift (reducing the motor load).

2) Not making any effort to raise window. This could be a switch or a broken wire in the harness. The symptom here is no noise from motor and no movement in window. A voltage check on the motor wires would show no voltage when up switch is pressed.

Newer Lexus's have little ECUs to control the window so its more involved than just switches, motors and wiring but I don’t think that holds true for your model.

Final answer: corrosion. One of the connectors (red wire / green wire) was corroded. changed out the paddle connectors and it worked twice. Now it stopped working. I think the green wire is the culprit. Any suggestions?

Well any corrosion would only be at ends of wire as the PVC wire jacket is essential a gas tight seal along the length of the wire. Find the offending point and maybe you can clean it up and solder (rosin core) the wire and connector tab.