Transmission Error Code ? Flashing M

Carizma

Hi I own a 1998 RX300 AWD and have has the transmission rebuilt but it does not change into 4th (Overdrive) when its cold and when I shift it into manual mode the M is flashing indicating an error. After 10mins of driving if I turn the the car off and on again the error dissapears and the car will change in the 4th gear as per normal.

Does anyone know what this error code is ??

Any help would be greatly appreciated as the transmission rebuild cost me $4000 and the problem is still not fixed.

Jon

I have a similar problem, 2wd, where it likes to stick thinrd. mainly on upshift but occasionally on down.I think my problem is a 3rd a sensor of some sort. Has nothing to do with temp. (your ten mins. warm though)Yours may be the same and/or your trans fluid is to to heavy.

Heavy fluid can make things sluggish, especially when cold. If they put the wrong weight in when on rebuild that could aggravate something or cause it.

Regards, PK

I have a similar problem, 2wd, where it likes to stick thinrd. mainly on upshift but occasionally on down.I think my problem is a 3rd a sensor of some sort. Has nothing to do with temp. (your ten mins. warm though)Yours may be the same and/or your trans fluid is to to heavy.

Heavy fluid can make things sluggish, especially when cold. If they put the wrong weight in when on rebuild that could aggravate something or cause it.

Regards, PK

The problem just started out of the blue and then I had the transmission rebuilt so new oil and the same problem is still there.

Is your warrenty exspiresd? even so, if that was the reason for the rebuild and it's not solved...

Im' surprised know ones piped in. maybe you have a unique one. Did you do a search here or elsewhere?

I unfortunately don't know this car as intimately as my others, so I'm speaking in generalities but, given I'ts electrical but also temp. sensitive, I'm going to put my money on something electromechanical on the outside off the box, a servo of some sort. (Given the warning light. Lexus should have a proprietary reader that can dump some trouble codes just like like BMW and Porsche do with CEL's).

Just to get more ammo for your mechanic, try this, in our car, when stuck in 3rd on the freeway I can sometimes get it in to 4th by taking it out of gear and reving it a little (chanting ...whatever), put back in drive and it will drop int forth. No permanent fix , just a diagnostic tool.

Good luck, PK

I don't think you will have much sucess getting a valid answer here being that we all have the US version of the RX300. I see you are from Australia and have a 1998 model. Our model year started in 1999 and we don't have the manual mode or a flashing "M".

Lexus Owners Club (Australia) has more Harrier owners. You could try your question there:

http://au.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showforum=6

Or maybe here:

http://www.motortrader.com.my/asp/forum/fo...sp?FORUM_ID=198

Good Luck.

Very good sleuthing Micky00. I'd assumed the light was a 2wd vs. 4wd issue. It sure would seem then that the car would be logging those issues that cause the light for later ofloading by someone with right equipment (like a dealer or indi.

Regards, PK