Reset Timing After Timing Belt Broke

bgeric

Timing belt broke on my 1999 RX 300. I'm replacing all the parts (water pump, etc) myself. I know the timing is messed up now. Before installing the timing belt, how do I get everything back in "time" again? Do I need to determine TDC on #1 cylinder (which I believe is in back)? I know it's a pain to get to the back cylinders. Then there getting the overhead cams properly setup as well. Any help would be appreciated.

Do you have a book? Haynes, I think, has a cheap one that covers a couple of vehicles and it should cover that. That motor is in several cars. You should be able to get the book at any chain store. You might do also search here, on google and YouTube, I'd bet theres more than one DIY out there.

Regards, PK

Timing belt broke on my 1999 RX 300. I'm replacing all the parts (water pump, etc) myself. I know the timing is messed up now. Before installing the timing belt, how do I get everything back in "time" again? Do I need to determine TDC on #1 cylinder (which I believe is in back)? I know it's a pain to get to the back cylinders. Then there getting the overhead cams properly setup as well. Any help would be appreciated.

Just out of curiosity....How many miles on the belt?

Do you have a book? Haynes, I think, has a cheap one that covers a couple of vehicles and it should cover that. That motor is in several cars. You should be able to get the book at any chain store. You might do also search here, on google and YouTube, I'd bet theres more than one DIY out there.

Regards, PK

Yes: how many miles on the belt? [i assume the belt broke while the motor was running - no damage?]

How many miles on the RX? Also, was this the original belt? Did you buy the car new? This is actually the 1st. time I have heard of a belt breaking on an RX. If you use the OEM Mitsuboshi belt, it will have all the marks on the belt to make certain it is timed correctly.

Regards, PK

Yes I have a repair manual I downloaded from this site.