1993 Ls400 Rims

Blk Blood

Yes sir they will.

The set on my 1st gen were 20x8.5 225/35-20 +40

Even with Tanabe DF210 lowering springs, never rubbed.

DSCF0200.jpg

I just wanted to know if you had to upgrade your brakes since you put on a bigger rim? I'm thinking about doing 19's....also did you upgrade your shocks as well???? BTW...they do look nice...congrats.... B)

No I didn't upgrade the brakes. But the 93-94 brakes should do an even better job of stopping.

The answer to your 2nd question is in my first post ;) (Tanabe DF210)

Wish I still had her sometimes!! :(

• 4 weeks later...

I'm intrigued as I also have 20x8.5's on my '94 LS400 and they do scrape when turning full lock.

I bought them on the car already and don't know much about wheels so I'm guessing it's to do with my suspension?

The factory air suspension seems to have been taken out and I wouldn't have a clue what's in there at the moment.

Would I be right in thinking I just need to look in to my suspension? The car is very low.

Cheers

Kieran

A lot of it depends on tire size. I currently run an 18" LS430 wheel but with a 245/45-18 tire from a Maxima, the sidewall height causes it to rub on the inner liners (car is lowered on DF210s and GR2s). A 40series tire would clear fine, I just don't need new tires yet.

What size is your tire? Going to a lower profile will give you more clearance without the need to downsize the wheel. Also, what offset are the wheels? A lower offset will set the wheel farther out, putting it closer to the fender lip.

I installed the Tanabe DF210's on stock shocks and never rubbed once. Could turn fully from lock to lock.

The trick is in the tires. Getting the 225 width instead of 245 tire allows the tire to "stretch" to the rim, giving you just enough extra clearance.

Stretching the tire also adds a vip look B)

Cheers.

The guy I bought my car off was rather dodgy and i've slowly had to fix up a lot of cheap fixes he'd done so wouldn't be surprised if this is going to be a lot more work than it first seems!

No idea on my tyre size or offset. Will have a look when I get home. I'm gonna have to do a bit of research to find out what these numbers mean!

The car is very low though and makes some bad noises when hitting uneven road. Even just slight bumps. So will need to look into the suspension when I get some coin.

Thanks for the advice on getting a shorter width, will have to remember that. Too bad I've only just got 4 new ones!

Anyone got a quick explanation on the offset for me? :)

I installed the Tanabe DF210's on stock shocks and never rubbed once. Could turn fully from lock to lock.

The trick is in the tires. Getting the 225 width instead of 245 tire allows the tire to "stretch" to the rim, giving you just enough extra clearance.

Thats good to know because the ppl ive been talking too are all saying its an extra 1000$ or more for shocks and springs and lowering and all... Spending only 300$ on the Tanabe DFs seems just right to me, How much was your car lowered?

Is this "stretching" safE? do others do that too?

thanks a mill guys!

Thats good to know because the ppl ive been talking too are all saying its an extra 1000$ or more for shocks and springs and lowering and all... Spending only 300$ on the Tanabe DFs seems just right to me, How much was your car lowered?

Is this "stretching" safE? do others do that too?

thanks a mill guys!

$1000? For what?

I bought the DF210s for $190 online and a full set of GR2s for like $230 on Ebay. It's a very good idea to replace the shocks as your OE ones are probably worn out anyway, plus a lot of stock shocks don't work so well with lowering springs, they like to ride the bumpstops or bottom out, especially when worn out. When you factor in the labor (it's not hard but beginners will feel daunted) why do it twice? Swap both at the same time and you're done for another 60-80k miles.

Stretching tires has been around for decades, it's just not as common in the US until recently. The only drawback is you run the risk of curb rash to the wheel lip as it's not protected by the tire's sidewall, but if you don't drive like a moron you're fine. My other car sits on 225/40s on a 9" wide rim, it's done to fit the wheel well properly and avoid rubbing. Fits/looks fine and allows for a lower drop on coilovers.