Gs300 Problem Almost All Electrical

i have a lexus gs300 and idk if its just me but people have told me that the gs's always have electrical problems, and if thats true then i got it as bad as it can get.. cause i have a 2000 lexus gs300 that i bought with 115k miles that already had no water squirters for the winshield,broken door locks, broken radio screen, broken window buttons(still works) and no horn.. a car's a car it was what i wanted black on black with aftermarket rims all for $7000 so i took it knowing that these engines are very reliable, the lady said all 100k work was done and the catalatic converter was replaced. i bought this car early may and now i dont know but its starting to turn into a nightmare. NOW the brake light on my spoiler went out. my gas gauge is innacurate witch got me stranded on the freeway not to long ago. makes a bad noise like something is rubbing without oil when im changing from park to reverse or drive.I dont know if this is normal or not but the times i floor it witch is rare everyone in my car can smell fumes. car shakes at high speeds. right "brights" light went out. when i brake my car pulls to a side. and just today my dash where my rpm speedometer ect. is really dim and goes completely OFF when i turn on my headlights so i have to drive at night without seeing my speed nor rpm and the gas gauge witch isnt a problem cause its broken anyways!.. please if anyone knows how much these fixes are tell me or let me know what might be happening. and do you think that the gas gauge is probably related to the dim/off dash??? need your help im 16 an have no money and i am very dissapointed with it.. cause i baught it thinking this car would last me. i love the car i always get compliments on it but if this car really is just going down the hill i would except the fact that i'd have to let it go. but if these fixes are not too expensive id be willing to fix them all cause i am thankfull of my car thats its still running but if it sounds like a lemon please dont hesitate to reply.. thank you :cries:

As far as I can tell, being a professional in the automotive field, I have never heard of or experienced any unusual electrical problems with any Toyota or Lexus product.

Like any automobile, certain parts do and will wear out. The door lock actuators, unfortunately, do wear out with some regularity on this series. The radio screen, which is fairly easy to fix (search these forums) is the other thing that happens to be common. When the screen is replaced with the upgraded part, the problem should end permanently.

All of the other items sound repairable by any reputable mechanic. Keep in mind that a car is a machine and will need service and care to remain reliable.

I have a 98 GS300 that i have owned for 8 years and the only "electrical" problem I encountered are rear door locks don't work anymore. It is a common problem that the rear power door lock actuators go bad. If you are somewhat mechanically inclined, you can buy the parts on ebay for around $150 each and do it yourself.

As far as I can tell, being a professional in the automotive field, I have never heard of or experienced any unusual electrical problems with any Toyota or Lexus product.

Like any automobile, certain parts do and will wear out. The door lock actuators, unfortunately, do wear out with some regularity on this series. The radio screen, which is fairly easy to fix (search these forums) is the other thing that happens to be common. When the screen is replaced with the upgraded part, the problem should end permanently.

All of the other items sound repairable by any reputable mechanic. Keep in mind that a car is a machine and will need service and care to remain reliable.

i have a 99 gs300.im having intermittent problems with the windows and power locks.some days all works great.right now.just the drivers door front window works and no power locks.i got a new drivers master window switch so thats not the problem.i think its one wire thats intermittent.can you help me trouble shoot.i have a diagram? ill pay you for your time.

Guy strat1953@aol.com 480-703-9586

• 1 year later...

This post has to be a joke. This can't be a serious post. I own a '93 gs300 with more than 160000 miles on it and it does'nt have a third of the problems this person is describing with their gs300. If it has that many problems, I would get rid of it asap. That is just unbelievable from a car with the reputation for reliability that lexus has.

• 2 weeks later...

i have a 99 gs300.im having intermittent problems with the windows and power locks.some days all works great.right now.just the drivers door front window works and no power locks.i got a new drivers master window switch so thats not the problem.i think its one wire thats intermittent.can you help me trouble shoot.i have a diagram? ill pay you for your time.

Guy strat1953@aol.com 480-703-9586

Check the wires inside the rubber connector boot between the drivers door and body (hinge area). Wires will often break internally from the repetative bending of opening and closing the door. (the drivers door is almost always the cause because it gets far more use than the rest of the doors). The break may not be obvious as the copper strands will sever inside the plastic coating making the wire appear fine. The fact that the problems are intermittent is a greater indication. Try operating the windows and locks while swinging the door slowly open and closed (or push and pull on the rubber boot) to see if the problem comes and goes with door movement. I've experienced this problem with my 1993 Camry in the past. I repaired it about 6 years ago, completely fine until a few months ago. I need to repair it again. Good luck!