Roof Rattles Rx330 - Very Annoying!

dsandife

I did a search on this forum before posting this. When my 2004 RX330 was new, I noticed a rattle coming from somewhere outside on the roof. This happens above about 50 mph. There was a TSB issued on roof rattles, and the dealer assured me that the problem was fixed. Although this improved the problem, it still occurred, and now that the car is 5 years old and out of warranty, the rattle is much worse.

Has anyone found a fix for this problem?

I connected the front and rear cross-members of the roof rack with a couple of bungy cords to see if they were the issue. The rattle continued, even though the rack was quite secure and tight with those cords.

I then pressed a couple of small rubber grommets under the bottom of the rear spoiler, as it seemed like the rattle could be coming from that area. Still have a rattle.

I believe that the noise is coming from outside, as opposed to within the moon roof area.

I am open to any suggestions. I hate to pay Lexus $100+ per hour to find an inherent problem with their vehicle.

Thank You.

I don't have your problem but a few of my own. Your doing all the right stuff in my opinion. Swirling little eddys can cause all sorts weird resonances. Wittness opening your sunroof open all the way.

If you are indeed reasonably confident it's on the roof you might try just start taking stuff off. The rear spoiler comes off really easily, and I don't think the racks are any big trick. I seem to recall taking one off once. A long shot, again if you think its on the roof, is the tracks that the racks fit into, are they snug?

Another odd thing that may be happening is your back hatch is rattling as a result of the spoiler redirecting (or not ) air flow over it or sunroof being open (with the sunroof open, ours trips the little bell and "door open" light ad nauseam.

Regards, PK

Yours may not be coming from the sun roof but mine was. This just about drove me nuts. I talked to the service mgr and told him that the next time it was in I wanted it fixed no matter what they had to do to it. He drove it around the lot heard what I was talking about and I got a phone call "keep the loaner car for a few days" They took out the sunroof shade and put in new tracks said the previous ones appeared to be bent. Since then it seems to be fine. Every once in awhile I get a little rattle but nothing like it was.

May want to have the lube the sunroof anyway just to try and see if it helps.

I did a search on this forum before posting this. When my 2004 RX330 was new, I noticed a rattle coming from somewhere outside on the roof. This happens above about 50 mph. There was a TSB issued on roof rattles, and the dealer assured me that the problem was fixed. Although this improved the problem, it still occurred, and now that the car is 5 years old and out of warranty, the rattle is much worse.

Has anyone found a fix for this problem?

I connected the front and rear cross-members of the roof rack with a couple of bungy cords to see if they were the issue. The rattle continued, even though the rack was quite secure and tight with those cords.

I then pressed a couple of small rubber grommets under the bottom of the rear spoiler, as it seemed like the rattle could be coming from that area. Still have a rattle.

I believe that the noise is coming from outside, as opposed to within the moon roof area.

I am open to any suggestions. I hate to pay Lexus $100+ per hour to find an inherent problem with their vehicle.

Thank You.