Remote Engine Starter

mojo1

I will be taking delivery of an RX450h soon. I want to add the dealer installed remote start accessory but noticed the 80 foot range seems to be a relatively short distance. Should I avoid buying this from the dealer or is 80 feet sufficient?

Depends. Does your new RX also have push-bitton start? If it does, the 80-foot system is probably the best range you're going to be able to get...unless someone you know or someone on here knows where to get a remote start system modified to make it have a much greater range. I know this because I asked about it when I got my 06 GS in which it was replied to me "it's complicated".

That said, it's complicated if you have the push-button start, but if you don't, then you might as well wait and get a nice aftermarket system installed (for about the same price, but with up to a 1-mile range.

80ft is pretty far.. this feature would mainly be used to warm up your car in the mornings right? Or cool it down in the summer. . . Vehicle would most likely be in your driveway..

Yeah, but I think it's more trouble than it's worth. You have to get a Lexus immobilizer bypass system installed first. That disables the security system that contains an internal "Kill switch" in the event the car is attempting to start without the key fob in range to verify the start sequence. Then they have to bypass the brake sensor. I think it's to much to give up and your just buying some problems. The stock security system in these cars aren't a seperate unit anymore. They're actually inergrated into the main CPU. I don't know if messing around with that is a very good idea yet. I think they may eventually come out with something, but everything I have seen so far isn't there yet.