Driver's Side-wet Carpet

Hi Everyone,

Driver's side carpet is wet. When I pulled it up, I found a puddle of water which I drained by opening a plug. I let it dry for couple of days but the moisture reappeared. The water/?? has an oily substatnce to it and it smells like viniger. Once again I pulled the carpet up and went a step further and pulled the black rubber/insulation. It looks like the water/?? is running down the right side wall. Please let me know if someone encountered a similar problem?

Hi Everyone,

Driver's side carpet is wet. When I pulled it up, I found a puddle of water which I drained by opening a plug. I let it dry for couple of days but the moisture reappeared. The water/?? has an oily substatnce to it and it smells like viniger. Once again I pulled the carpet up and went a step further and pulled the black rubber/insulation. It looks like the water/?? is running down the right side wall. Please let me know if someone encountered a similar problem?

Hi Mark, I've got the same problem, driver's side (front only) wet but without the oily substance/vinegar smell. Just soaking wet. The dealer says they cleaned out the drains, kept my car for 4 days and "ran a hose on it" over the weekend. Couldn't identify the source. Still leaks. They told me upfront that leaks are hard to diagnose so I guess I'm just supposed to live with it? Now I've got a moldy smell. I've been really unimpressed with the Portland dealer in general so I'm hoping you might have better luck finding an answer. If you do find a solution, please post. I've read the other wet carpet posts and it would appear that the dealer has tried everything they've suggested. Good luck!

I would suggest pulling back the carpet from the side of the transmission tunnel and looking directly under the white evaporator box. This box contains the A/C evaporator which collects condensate. The condensate is supposed to drain out the transparent hose on the passenger side of the box. If the drain is not clogged, a reasonable flow of condensate (water) should been seen dripping under the car with the A/C running, particularly on a hot day.

Sometimes, the joint at the bottom of the heater box will start to leak. The condensate (water) can been seen dripping from the bottom of the box onto the transmission tunnel. If this is the case, the repair is extensive. It requires the entire dashboard to be removed to remove the heater box. The box is split in half and resealed using silicone sealant.

Pictures of how extensive this is can be seen here.

Another indicator which may be helpful is this. If your heater box is not leaking, a small amount of water tends to collect in the bottom. When the car is parked overnight, immediately after starting in the morning with the A/C on Auto mode, you should see a temporary fog on the inside of the windshield which quickly clears. This is most easy to see when the car has been parked after being driven on a hot day with the A/C on.

If your box is leaking, it tends to drain completely. Unfortunately, it drains under the carpet. When you restart the car with a completely dry heater box, little or no fog on the windshield is produced when the car is restarted after being parked overnight.

I noticed this because my windows never fogged and cleared until after I discovered and repaired my leaking heater box. It now occurs every day, like clockwork.

If you don't see and evidence of water dripping from the heater box onto the transmission tunnel, then the source of the water under the carpet is likely from elsewhere.

Hi Everyone,

Hi Mark, I've got the same problem, driver's side (front only) wet but without the oily substance/vinegar smell. Just soaking wet. The dealer says they cleaned out the drains, kept my car for 4 days and "ran a hose on it" over the weekend. Couldn't identify the source. Still leaks. They told me upfront that leaks are hard to diagnose so I guess I'm just supposed to live with it? Now I've got a moldy smell. I've been really unimpressed with the Portland dealer in general so I'm hoping you might have better luck finding an answer. If you do find a solution, please post. I've read the other wet carpet posts and it would appear that the dealer has tried everything they've suggested. Good luck!

As soon as I find out what the problem is, I will post it.

I would suggest pulling back the carpet from the side of the transmission tunnel and looking directly under the white evaporator box. This box contains the A/C evaporator which collects condensate. The condensate is supposed to drain out the transparent hose on the passenger side of the box. If the drain is not clogged, a reasonable flow of condensate (water) should been seen dripping under the car with the A/C running, particularly on a hot day.

Sometimes, the joint at the bottom of the heater box will start to leak. The condensate (water) can been seen dripping from the bottom of the box onto the transmission tunnel. If this is the case, the repair is extensive. It requires the entire dashboard to be removed to remove the heater box. The box is split in half and resealed using silicone sealant.

Another indicator which may be helpful is this. If your heater box is not leaking, a small amount of water tends to collect in the bottom. When the car is parked overnight, immediately after starting in the morning with the A/C on Auto mode, you should see a temporary fog on the inside of the windshield which quickly clears. This is most easy to see when the car has been parked after being driven on a hot day with the A/C on.

If your box is leaking, it tends to drain completely. Unfortunately, it drains under the carpet. When you restart the car with a completely dry heater box, little or no fog on the windshield is produced when the car is restarted after being parked overnight.

I noticed this because my windows never fogged and cleared until after I discovered and repaired my leaking heater box. It now occurs every day, like clockwork.

If you don't see and evidence of water dripping from the heater box onto the transmission tunnel, then the source of the water under the carpet is likely from elsewhere.

When I start the car in the morning no visible fog is produced on the windshield. So far I have pulled the carpet back, let it dry for a day. Next step is to drive it for couple of days and see if the water comes back. Thank you for the valuble information.

Thanks for the info! I'll give it a try. I've added my year. Didn't ask for it when I registered. Perhaps model/year in the signup? Thanks again for the tips. Now to get rid of the moldy smell without getting rid of the carpet...

Thanks for the info! I'll give it a try. I've added my year. Didn't ask for it when I registered. Perhaps model/year in the signup? Thanks again for the tips. Now to get rid of the moldy smell without getting rid of the carpet...

leak in the evap !!

• 4 years later...

For some reason, this forum IDENTIFIES a " A/C Condensate Drain Clog"'

But

You can search 20 entries and NOT find the Solution for FIXing it !!!

Hear it is on YouTube.. Plain, Simple, Clear and Cheap