Please Help, Issue With Fan

RX300MS

Greetings, all,

My 99 R300 suddenly has an issue with the fan or blower, I don't know which. The symptom is that once I turn on the fan, it blows for a few seconds (5 - 10 seconds) and then it turns off, and after a few seconds, it turns back on again. I don't think it has anything to do with temperature sensor as I just turned the fan on, not with automatic. The two fan in the front seem to be working fine all the time. I can't seem to make sense of this. Have you guys seen anything like this?

Another minor issue I realized today while checking, the passenger side, under the glove compartment, I hear this noise, it's like a motor trying to position something, keeps moving back and forth, kinda like robot moving his arm up and down, that kind of sound. I have been thinking that it's from the CD changer so I really did not think too much until today that I found where it came from.

[[ update: i opened up under the glove compartment, and found where that noise is from; it apparently is from the temperature control. i can see it moves when i turn down or up the temperature. One thing, there are two aluminium pipes, very hot, is that for AC, is the hotness normal?]]

I really appreciate anyone with any info or direction for me,

P.S. Sorry if this is a frequent question, I did try a search, but the key word fan came up with too many results.

Thanks very much!!

Those are the servo motors. Yes those lines are hot. The servo motor on top is for the modes, the bottom one is temp servo a/c and heat. than there is one by the blower for the air control. You can take them apart and try to clean and regrease them, and they my work and may stay the same. The servo run around 130.00 each. the one on the bottom by the a/c line(hot Lines) is harder to get out. There is a diagram for the a/c. Hope this helps

Jeff

Air_Conditioning__AC__file.pdf

Thanks Jeff. So you think the fan issue could be from the blower.

The servo motors, I think it's ok, other than the noise, no complaints from me. I will try open the blower up and clean it out.

You caqn remove the glove box, easy to do. and see if the servo motor is working by the blower, also have you change the cabin filter latley? With the glove box out you can see a little more whats going on there.

I have not changed the filter for quite some time, I actually took it out earlier and it is dirty. I will get it changed asap. And thanks so much for the diagram, it's really helpful to understand it.

I will work on it when I have time and report back what I find out.

I experienced the same issue with the servo motor (only they referred to it as the blendor motor). took them 4 hours to figure it out, thus costing me $600 including parts. that seemed to have fixed the issue, but i think it is back again. so i'll have to take it again.

I experienced the same issue with the servo motor (only they referred to it as the blendor motor). took them 4 hours to figure it out, thus costing me $600 including parts. that seemed to have fixed the issue, but i think it is back again. so i'll have to take it again.

I thought it'd be the blower motor, what does the servo motor do? I don't quite understand that.

I just unplugged the blower motor and tested its power, looks like the blower motor is good. Its power supply seems to be intermittently powered on and off. I will check where that power comes from. Maybe the blower motor control relay?

Update: I checked the blower control relay, looks like it's bad. Here is what I found out: the relay control has two plugs side by side:

[[1 2 3]] [[4 5]]

Here 1/2/3 is on plug, 4 and 5 is another one which goes into blower motor. When I turn the blower on in the control panel, 1 and 3 has a constant 12v power. Please let me know if I get this wrong.

Does anyone know the part number for this relay and where is a good place to buy?

Thanks!!

• 7 months later...

I want to update my repair. I have been putting this off for almost year now; partly because I could not find the part (blower motor control/resistor) from ebay. Luckily I bought a used one last week, and it took me about 10 minutes to put it on (could've done it in less than 5 minutes I think). And everything is fine now.

Thanks for your help.