Starter Replacement And Headlight Problem

jtbel

My '97 LS400 has been making one click when I turn the key. It will start after 2 or 3 tries. I installed a new battery and checked cables, so at this point I am pretty sure it's time to replace the starter. I already ordered the starter and will be doing the replacement myself. Can anybody point me to some instructions or some good tips? Also, both my headlamps are not turning on. Under the hood, in the fuse box, there is a headlamp relay. I switched it out with the one labeled defrost, because it looks exactly the same, and there was no difference. Other than both bulbs going out at the same time, could there be anything else that I can check before replacing the bulbs? (the high beams are working fine). Thanks

For the starter, here's a few threads I participated in:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...=0&p=342551

and

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls400/3248...n-progress.html

You should read this to be sure: http://www.lextreme.com/dx-starter.html, but with the clicks, it's the starter IMO.

Boy, are you in for some fun :huh:

Sorry, can't help you with the headlights. Did you try searching?

I received my new starter, but have not installed it just yet, because the car seems to be starting on the first try again. I'm going to wait until the starter really gives me problems, before replacing it. (I'm not that scared about the replacement, rather I just want to get as much use as I can from the old starter). Again, if anyone can help me on what to check with the headlight problem, I would appreciate it. I replaced one of the bulbs with an old one that I kept because it still was good, and it did'nt work. Anyway, I did some work on the power steering in the mean time. A while back I tried to clean the solenoid, but was unable to get it off. I finally got it to come off, and of course it was really dirty on the screens. I also took off the air valve underneath the pump. I just cleaned it and reinstalled it. Hopefully I will be able to see where it is leaking, if it still leaks. From what I could tell beforehand, I would guess the leak was coming from the valve. The car seems to be idling really nicely so far, I will have to get back with you on whether it still leaks. By the way, I am having to top off the power steering reservoir at least once a week.

My '97 LS400 has been making one click when I turn the key. It will start after 2 or 3 tries. I installed a new battery and checked cables, so at this point I am pretty sure it's time to replace the starter. I already ordered the starter and will be doing the replacement myself. Can anybody point me to some instructions or some good tips? Also, both my headlamps are not turning on. Under the hood, in the fuse box, there is a headlamp relay. I switched it out with the one labeled defrost, because it looks exactly the same, and there was no difference. Other than both bulbs going out at the same time, could there be anything else that I can check before replacing the bulbs? (the high beams are working fine). Thanks

My mechanic just replaced my starter. ($1200.00) It began to click last winter--but he advised not to do for a while yet-

I told him I would like to just get it done.....however they seem to last for quite a while after they begin clicking.

Yikes! That's pricey. Well, I'm glad to hear that they last for quite a bit longer. My headlight problem has been hopefully narrowed down to the bulb connectors. I get power to the middle wire in the connectors. For some reason, they just don't make good contact, or are just too dirty. I think I will just cut the connectors off, and connect each wire individually where they go on the bulb. I'll give an update soon on whether the solenoid cleaning decreased my power steering leak.

Great news! It was the light bulb connectors after all. I just eliminated the brown plastic connectors and connected the wires directly to the bulbs, and voila. As far as the results after cleaning the steering solenoid, there might have been a slight loss of fluid, but not nearly like it was. The ground is dried up where the fluid usually fell. It is idling really good too.