Power Steering Flush

Marklouis

hey guys, long time no post. been a very busy guy!

noticed the power steering getting a little tough - checked the reservoir, and we have black soot. i knew i should have changed it sooner. steps i have taken so far to remedy from reading the posts:

*jacked front of car up - turned left wheel all the way to the right.

*loosened the input/ return lines - turned wheels left to right several times pumping out more fluid.

now to take out the sylenoid filter - is it reverse threads?

*totally flush the system of old fluid by pumping through some new.

after i clean that and hook everything back up - i just fill the reservoir with dexron II/III and turn the wheels back and forth, and watch the fill level carefully.

((should i replace the air control valve? and if so - where and how much besides from the dealer??))

any more insight would be greatly appreciated.

by the way, i logged on 20k miles on the lex since the last post.

:D

This would be a good procedure to have a video. Things like knowing if ATF is going to spray all over, how to catch it, where exactly to disconnect.

true, the ATF does seem to spray a bit, so a good size pan is needed.

pretty easy job to accomplish if you just go behind the wheel on the left side with it turned all the way to the right. the inline and return line (17mm) are pretty easy to get to. however, i could not budge the filter housing in either direction - (i read on a post here it's reverse threads) - not with any tool i had. so i just hoped for the best by flushing with new dexron fluid - go through the refill steps - and so far the steering is smooth as butta.

a short video or even a slideshow would prolly be sufficient just for the flushing/filter replacement - as far as the Air Control Valve replacement - i didnt check mine since i havent had any leaking or smoking issues....yet.

:P

Check out the two threads I linked here:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...st&p=372435

those links helped guide me through my flush lastnight! i really appreciate the insight - i had to search "power steering fluid" and "power steering flush" to find them -

I would like to consolidate all the useful/correct procedures and match them with a slideshow/powerpoint guide. think that would fly??

:huh:

I would like to consolidate all the useful/correct procedures and match them with a slideshow/powerpoint guide. think that would fly??

YES!! That's a great idea. You didn't happen to take any pics last night to help replace the ones missing from one of those threads?

YES!! That's a great idea. You didn't happen to take any pics last night to help replace the ones missing from one of those threads?

as a fact of matter i did! got some croppin and choppin to do w/ the pics. I will load them after i return from Wisconsin.

B)

• 2 weeks later...