Advice Needed...lots Of Clues....

beachlover

Getting a noise from the rear. Sounds like new tires wearing in, especially at over 30mph speed....put on new brake pads, no change. replaced rear end gear oil, no change. Disconnected and removed rear parking brake pads (just to rule out)no change. Looked all around at rear cv joints and bearing areas,all looks ok. Suspect bearing, but sound doesn't seem to be on one side.(and rear bearing looks like it'll take alot to replace, and if I pick the wrong side....) Thinking maybe where the rear drive shaft goes through these type of "carriers". Anybody have any ideas or suggestions?

Unless you have snows tires or something weird on it,(You might try this, rotate the tires). I'd go with the bearings. My experience with CV joints is cracking & clunking. Usually if a trans-axel or differential is howling, it's to late, a lube change wont help (good thought though). To find out where your noise is coming from, simply take to a tire shop or some one with a lift. Put it up, fire it up, put it in gear and set the cruise. Then stroll around (and under) or have the "tech" do it. Sometimes Kentucky stethoscope (a length...48" of fuel line) from your ear to suspicious areas will bring it home. You might also try this, rotate the tires.

Regards, PK

Thanx....putting a wood dowel on the rear strut towers worked. Was the passenger bearing. Took me and a friend the whole day to do. Probably can advise everyone that this is a very difficult job.(Maybe that's why I couldn't find any other threads on this job....)