Should I Be Worried Or Not?

Gebo

I am looking at purchasing a white 2002 LX470 with 95,000 miles. I noticed 4 things as I tested it out. First of all, it doesn't shift near as smooth as my '98 LS400. It shifts harder with a "little" bump. The "D" is burned out in the dash. Some of the clear coat is peeling off the top of the front bumper (about 1 square inch area). Lastly, the strip lights that are supposed to come on in the passenger side footboard are burned out.

Should I run or not? Cost to fix?

Thanks, Gary

There was some kind of recall where the paint is pealing on Smokey Topaz but I see you say the truck is white. I haven't heard any problems with the white color. As for the D on the dash board. Mine has been out for some time. Don't know how much to fix it but it really doesn't bother me. I can see what gear i'm in if I look at the shifter. As for the running board lights there should be an easy DIY fix for those if they are the bulbs burnt out and not something electrical. And if you flush and change the transmission fluid as I did at my 90k mile service (I think it was between $150-300 dollar job) a few months ago the truck shifts alot smoother. So hopefully that is the problem here. It will probably be a good buy. My 98 is going strong. Had her since she was born. No major replacements done. Just fluids and whatever the manual says.

Nic,

Thanks for input. I just sold my Tundra and am ready to get it on. I don't think the tranny has been changed and I can do that. My only real concern is that the owner told me they replaced the bulbs for the passenger side running board but that didn't fix it. He said I would have to replace the entire running board. Hmmm....Big bucks I'm figuring.

Nic,

Thanks for input. I just sold my Tundra and am ready to get it on. I don't think the tranny has been changed and I can do that. My only real concern is that the owner told me they replaced the bulbs for the passenger side running board but that didn't fix it. He said I would have to replace the entire running board. Hmmm....Big bucks I'm figuring.

If you are mechanically inclined enough to change your own transmission fluid I'm sure you can tinker around with the running board and figure out what is wrong with it. It could be as simple as a fuse or disconnected wire. And if it makes you feel better my 98 wasn’t even available with running board lights.

Nic,

If you are mechanically inclined enough to change your own transmission fluid I'm sure you can tinker around with the running board and figure out what is wrong with it. It could be as simple as a fuse or disconnected wire. And if it makes you feel better my 98 wasn’t even available with running board lights.

This forum is awesome. I'm glad i found it. I have a 98', with 82,000 and it makes me feel like a king everytime I drive it. Powerful, luxurious, and good looking !

post-91699-1249583677_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
I am looking at purchasing a white 2002 LX470 with 95,000 miles. I noticed 4 things as I tested it out. First of all, it doesn't shift near as smooth as my '98 LS400. It shifts harder with a "little" bump. The "D" is burned out in the dash. Some of the clear coat is peeling off the top of the front bumper (about 1 square inch area). Lastly, the strip lights that are supposed to come on in the passenger side footboard are burned out.

Should I run or not? Cost to fix?

Thanks, Gary

I would walk away. If it has that many issues showing, how many more might be under the surface?