Vsc And Check Engine Light 1998 Ls 400

davels4001998

Hello all. I just replaced my starter and solenoid on my 1998 LS 400 with the great help that I found on this site. The job went according to plan. The biggest headache was getting the wiring harness for all the sensor out of the way so we could pull out the intake manifold. After we put everything back together, I have a new problem. Both my engine light and the VSC Off indicator lights came on when we started the car. I checked the OBD II codes and I got a P1350 (Variable Valve Timing/CMP Sensor Range Bank 2). There were no other codes and I cleared the vehicle's computer and then re-ran the scan with the engine running and the P1350 code came back. I went back and checked to make sure that the sensor connectors were properly connected and they were.

Other than disconnect the sensor connector like I did with a whole bunch of connectors (by the way Lexus in their wisdom makes every connector different so that you don't connect the wrong ones together) I did nothing to disturb the VVT system hardware. In addition the very annoying VSC Off message and red light is lit in my dashboard screen which precludes reading any of my mode screens like Average mileage, Distance to empty, etc.

These both seem like totally unrelated problems to each other and to the starter replacement. Can anyone help with some ideas on how to fix one or both?

My car has 107,000 milies on it by the way.

Hello all. I just replaced my starter and solenoid on my 1998 LS 400 with the great help that I found on this site. The job went according to plan. The biggest headache was getting the wiring harness for all the sensor out of the way so we could pull out the intake manifold. After we put everything back together, I have a new problem. Both my engine light and the VSC Off indicator lights came on when we started the car. I checked the OBD II codes and I got a P1350 (Variable Valve Timing/CMP Sensor Range Bank 2). There were no other codes and I cleared the vehicle's computer and then re-ran the scan with the engine running and the P1350 code came back. I went back and checked to make sure that the sensor connectors were properly connected and they were.

Other than disconnect the sensor connector like I did with a whole bunch of connectors (by the way Lexus in their wisdom makes every connector different so that you don't connect the wrong ones together) I did nothing to disturb the VVT system hardware. In addition the very annoying VSC Off message and red light is lit in my dashboard screen which precludes reading any of my mode screens like Average mileage, Distance to empty, etc.

These both seem like totally unrelated problems to each other and to the starter replacement. Can anyone help with some ideas on how to fix one or both?

My car has 107,000 milies on it by the way.

I forgot to mention that my car seems to be running perfectly despite the VVT code error and the VSC being off.

Hi,

Don't know if this will help, but here goes.

The harness that has the wiring for the bank2 sensor runs thru the harness that runs on the top of the cylinder and around the back. Any chance that the wire might be pinched? I just had a started done and I know that harness gets shifted quite a bit. I would start there. I replaced the VVT cam seals on my 98 and had the sensor out to get the cams out. I had no problems as lex does a great job of making the connectors only go one place.

Good luck!

fblonk

Hi,

Don't know if this will help, but here goes.

The harness that has the wiring for the bank2 sensor runs thru the harness that runs on the top of the cylinder and around the back. Any chance that the wire might be pinched? I just had a started done and I know that harness gets shifted quite a bit. I would start there. I replaced the VVT cam seals on my 98 and had the sensor out to get the cams out. I had no problems as lex does a great job of making the connectors only go one place.

Good luck!

fblonk

Did you replace the cam seals yourself? Was the sensor difficult to get out?