Windshield Glare

joe913

I just purchased an RX300 and I am loving it. The seller must have "armoralled" the dash which makes it shine but causes a very distracting reflection on the windshield. Any ideas on how to dull the dash to reduce glare? Thanks!

For the Rx300's dash, you can use a mr clean magic eraser with a little water. Just make circular paths and it will make the dash look new again. The eraser will NOT cause damage on the rx300's dash.

Thanks! :)

For the Rx300's dash, you can use a mr clean magic eraser with a little water. Just make circular paths and it will make the dash look new again. The eraser will NOT cause damage on the rx300's dash.

I would only use the Magic Eraser as a last resort. They are very abrasive and have a harsh bleach-like cleaner.

Try a good vinyl detergent like Vinylex or a 5:1 dillution of Woolite & Water...

I used the magic eraser on the Rx300 dash several times with no adverse effects. It is an abrasive, but the Rx300 dash can take it. It's a solid material, so it's not like you can sand your way through to.... underneath. You only need to use it once and the surface will become very dull and should be fine until something else is applied.

There aren't many chemicals i would trust to use on the Rx300 dash that would remove the shiny armorall. The armorall is designed to resist chemicals. I would definitely use the eraser.

I do however not suggest using the eraser on the Rx330/350/400h dash because it's covered in a layer of thin dyed vinyl, i learned this the hard way. I wouldn't use it on leather either.

It does however work GREAT on the center console radio face (the black with all the buttons) as it removes any friction shine and makes the plastic look that flat black again. The radio bezel is black plastic, so again there's no limit of how many times you can use it. However if you have nav, the buttons are painted black and the eraser will take it off, but the standard buttons are black plastic not painted, so there's no limit.

Buddy I've detailed hundreds of cars, what you're saying is not exactly accurate. The dash material on the RX300 is dyed, its not solidly the interior color all the way through. You're right by saying that the eraser dulled the surface, it did that by abrading and removing the top layer of the surface and exposing a fresh layer underneath. The vinyl is impregnated with a UV treatment but only on the surface. When you remove that surface, and potentially that UV layer you just have no idea what effect thats going to have on the longevity of the material, on color fading, etc. IMHO its not worth the risk until you try something else first.

The credo of any responsible automotive detailer is to use the least aggressive product and technique possible to achieve the desired result. Going straight to the absolute most abrasive product you could use isn't the proper approach.

Your statement that there aren't many chemicals you would use on the dash makes no sense when you are using one of the harshest chemicals around...in the Magic Eraser and its not even formulated for that purpose. There are MANY safe chemicals expressly designed to clean automotive vinyl...and do it safely.

When you yourself used the Magic Eraser on your '08 you state it ruined the dash and you had to re-dye it. It may have done the same thing to your '03, you just couldn't tell because the '08 has a black dash and the '03 had a lighter ivory dash.

Armor All is no magic detergent resisting substance, its an ordinary water based dressing, its not even silicone based. Its very easily removed.

The radio bezel is flat black, but its very easily marred. Again, I would never do that to my car or a client's car.

Take whichever advice you want, I've been detailing cars for over 15 years, I've detailed professionally. The Magic Eraser is simply a "last resort" tool. Try Vinylex, 1Z's interior cleaner, or a simple solution of 5:1 water:woolite.

Thank you Lexus OwnersClub.com! I have learned so much about the dash of my RX300. You have given me many ideas on how to remove the dash reflection from my windshield. I will start from the most mild solution (woolite/water). It appears to be the least invasive and easiest method. If it doesn't work, I will try other's. I really appreciate the suggestions.

Can I use this combination on the interior leather too? Should I worry about it touching the plastic dash AND wooden paneling etc?

Also, my child spilt coffee on the rear carpet and a little on the leather seat which left a very faint small stain. What's the best way to get rid of it.

Thanks in advance.

Great!

So you know that will clean all the interior vinyl and the leather well...

Yes, it does work well. During the first use, I missed a couple of spots and was able to see how dirty the dash really was. The first time, I didn't know, how much to use, how much force, etc. The lid to the Woolite is a measuring device so I used one lid-full to five water which makes about the right amount for a spray bottle. I used a bucket the first time but every time I put the sponge into the solution, the dirt that was successfully removed was deposited into the mix making it increasingly dirtier. The spray bottle will remedy this issue. A remark about the strength of the Woolite solution, it took forever (it seemed) to get rid of the bubbles when I cleaned the bucket. Use the spray bottle--even if you just spray a little onto the sponge each time to maintain fresh solution. Thanks again for the tip.

The Woolite solution is a mild solution that I will use on my trim, carpet and leather. I used three steps: 1) cleaned with the Woolite solution; 2) rinsed with a fresh water rag/sponge; and 3) dry with a clean rag. I did not use gloves and my hands were not irritated at all. If you plan on doing a lot of cleaning, gloves would probably be more safe.

Note: Woolite is a highly concentrated detergent. It was designed for use on dirty clothes so I would think it would just fine with carpet. Be aware, as I discovered while cleaning my dash--when you start on an area you don't know how dirty it is until you start cleaning. If you clean the spot on your carpet, what stood out while it was dirty may stand out because it is cleaner than the surrounding fabric after you are done. Good luck.

You can use it on everything, it is very mild. It probably won't clean glossy things like plastic, wood, and glass well (it'll smear) but it won't hurt them.

I've had success with it on Carpet too.

I had success with leather as well.

You can use it on everything, it is very mild. It probably won't clean glossy things like plastic, wood, and glass well (it'll smear) but it won't hurt them.

I've had success with it on Carpet too.