Local Dealer Getting $$ On The Ls400!

90LS400Lexus

I took my LS to one of the local Toyota dealers today and they have went up, or should I say, cut down on what they offer. I used to take it to the local Lexus dealer 20 miles away until the last time I was there, they didnt change the oil, but charged me for it. :rolleyes: Long story.

So.... normally, at our local Toyota dealer, the tire rotation was included with the oil change... not now - now they charge $16. to rotate the tires. It cost me $56.20 today to get my oil changed and tires rotated... how does that compare to those of you that get it done at a Toyota dealer? They only charged $10 labor to change it, which is worth it to me because of the engine cover that has to come off, then $6.00 for the oil filter and $2.55 for 6 quarts of oil... oil change alone would have been like $33.00, which is not bad, but had I known that they now charge $16 for tire rotation (which it really didnt need), I would not have agreed to it. $16. is not alot, but I could have done more effective things with that $16.

Then the service manager said since my car had high miles (221K), that he recommends I have a oil flush done for an additional $27.00 which puts something in the engine and flushed it out for 10 minutes, then refill and add some sort of additive. I declined that. My car dont leak or burn any oil (not one drop), even if I wait and do the 5K change interval.

Whats worse is that my appointment was at 3:00 and they still had not took my car back at 4:00 and it was nearly 5:00 before my car was ready. <_< He said that it took so long because the first oil filter was defective and it was leaking..... hmmmm I hope they didnt run my car without oil. <_< I dont think so... I think they were slackers because everyone was having to wait long periods.

I think next time I will just do it myself if I still have the car. As many of you know, I had been wanting to give the car to my mom, but I may give her my Mercedes instead and sell the LS400 and buy me a truck. I love the LS, but it needs things I cant afford to put into it now... power steering pump (leaking and I have a feeling it will leak like crazy this winter), motor mounts (vibrations) and eventually valve cover gaskets.... funny, they only leak in the winter, but oil always stays full... they only leak enough to cause the smell and occasional puff of smoke from under the hood, but again, only in the cooler months. :huh: I am planning on changing the transmission mount this week or next.... hoping it will eliminate some of the vibrations.

There is one guy really interested in it... he said he would give me $3200 for it if I would sell it to him.... seriously considering it.

Well I'd look for a new place to take your car. There isn't much to do other than oil change and tire rotations between the 30k services. Inspections and the like mostly.

I'd beware of elixirs and other potions for the oil. Sounds like a margin grab by the dealer. Put in a $2 bottle of something and they charge you $60. Follow the mfgs service guide and don't be up sold to unnecessary items. At 221k you need the $$ later when real things start to go, suspension, brakes, PS & water pumps, starter, timing belt, ... They'll be plenty to spend your dollars on. No need to spend it on useless things in the interim.

Well I'd look for a new place to take your car. There isn't much to do other than oil change and tire rotations between the 30k services. Inspections and the like mostly.

I'd beware of elixirs and other potions for the oil. Sounds like a margin grab by the dealer. Put in a $2 bottle of something and they charge you $60. Follow the mfgs service guide and don't be up sold to unnecessary items. At 221k you need the $$ later when real things start to go, suspension, brakes, PS & water pumps, starter, timing belt, ... They'll be plenty to spend your dollars on. No need to spend it on useless things in the interim.

Thanks. Yeah, I think I definitely will. Perhaps to the other Toyota dealer. They did real good when I had my 2000 Tundra. Never tried to rip me off.

Thankfully, my timing belt, water pump were done about 22K ago and the fan bracket about 1600 ago. One thing that terrifies me is the starter. Its fine now, but I know how costly and what a pain it is WHEN it does finally go. I have no idea if it was replaced before or not. I hope they give warning, because first sign of failure, its outta here. :)

All the engine flush crap is, is like Seafoam.

Put some Seafoam in the crankcase and let it idle for like 20min before you change your oil. VOILA!! You spent $7 for the same treatment!

I am serious... if you don't want to sell, let the guy reach out to me: I have a 1995 LS400 with 216k and I am interested to deal. :-)

I took my LS to one of the local Toyota dealers today and they have went up, or should I say, cut down on what they offer. I used to take it to the local Lexus dealer 20 miles away until the last time I was there, they didnt change the oil, but charged me for it. :rolleyes: Long story.

So.... normally, at our local Toyota dealer, the tire rotation was included with the oil change... not now - now they charge $16. to rotate the tires. It cost me $56.20 today to get my oil changed and tires rotated... how does that compare to those of you that get it done at a Toyota dealer? They only charged $10 labor to change it, which is worth it to me because of the engine cover that has to come off, then $6.00 for the oil filter and $2.55 for 6 quarts of oil... oil change alone would have been like $33.00, which is not bad, but had I known that they now charge $16 for tire rotation (which it really didnt need), I would not have agreed to it. $16. is not alot, but I could have done more effective things with that $16.

Then the service manager said since my car had high miles (221K), that he recommends I have a oil flush done for an additional $27.00 which puts something in the engine and flushed it out for 10 minutes, then refill and add some sort of additive. I declined that. My car dont leak or burn any oil (not one drop), even if I wait and do the 5K change interval.

Whats worse is that my appointment was at 3:00 and they still had not took my car back at 4:00 and it was nearly 5:00 before my car was ready. <_< He said that it took so long because the first oil filter was defective and it was leaking..... hmmmm I hope they didnt run my car without oil. <_< I dont think so... I think they were slackers because everyone was having to wait long periods.

I think next time I will just do it myself if I still have the car. As many of you know, I had been wanting to give the car to my mom, but I may give her my Mercedes instead and sell the LS400 and buy me a truck. I love the LS, but it needs things I cant afford to put into it now... power steering pump (leaking and I have a feeling it will leak like crazy this winter), motor mounts (vibrations) and eventually valve cover gaskets.... funny, they only leak in the winter, but oil always stays full... they only leak enough to cause the smell and occasional puff of smoke from under the hood, but again, only in the cooler months. :huh: I am planning on changing the transmission mount this week or next.... hoping it will eliminate some of the vibrations.

There is one guy really interested in it... he said he would give me $3200 for it if I would sell it to him.... seriously considering it.

I always change my own oil and I get free tire rotation from Tredquarters, there I bought the tires. I did take my 90 LS400 to our local Lexus dealer and they were clearly either idiots or incompetent. They changed the oil which I told them specifically NOT to change (I had changed it 3 days before) then they left the splash pan off the bottom of the engine so I had to take it back. Never again. I now have a Toyota dealer which will happily do Lexus work and I use them for anything I don't want to do.

I am serious... if you don't want to sell, let the guy reach out to me: I have a 1995 LS400 with 216k and I am interested to deal. :-)

I will let him know. I am thinking about selling it though. Its becoming a money pit for me. $1000 and it would be a perfect car again though.

(power steering pump, motor mounts and valve cover gaskets). <_<

I always change my own oil and I get free tire rotation from Tredquarters, there I bought the tires. I did take my 90 LS400 to our local Lexus dealer and they were clearly either idiots or incompetent. They changed the oil which I told them specifically NOT to change (I had changed it 3 days before) then they left the splash pan off the bottom of the engine so I had to take it back. Never again. I now have a Toyota dealer which will happily do Lexus work and I use them for anything I don't want to do.

I will change it myself from here on in if we keep it. Our local Lexus dealer was good at first... they only charged me $10 once on my old 1990 LS when my airbag light was not coming on... they checked it and the PO had the system disconnected and bumb removed. They only charged $10- which was nice. Then a few oil changes were fine, THEN the last time I went, they DID NOT change my oil. I know the condition of my oil when I took the car in... it was only at 3K miles, but not that dirty, but it was darker than new oil. I got home and checked it and it looked the same as it did when I got it home... not the fresh light brown look its supposed to be and how it looks when I have it changed. I vowed then I would never take it back there again and started taking it to one of the local Toyota dealers, but they are SLOW and charge for things you dont expect.

About the engine undercover, I was always paranoid about this on my car, because my last LS400 didnt have the cover any longer. I was always afraid that one of the jokers would leave the cover off. Last time they left it loose and it was hanging down and it would scrape when I hit certain dips. Its up higher now though.