Turning A/c On And Off & Blinking A/c Light

Trouper

I recently purchased a CPO 2006 RX330 and have a simple question about how to turn the A/C on.

With the ignition on, and all controls in the "off" condition, should I be able to turn the A/C on by pressing the A/C button, or, do I have to press the "Auto" button to turn the A/C on?

I have tried turning the A/C on by just pressing the A/C button, and nothing happens, the A/C light will not even come on. Is this normal for this car? I never owned a car with auto climate control, so I do not know if I must alsways turn the system on with the "Auto" control button.

I also have a secondary question. On several occasions we have noticed the A/C light blinking. According to the Owners Manual this can happen when the compressor turns off. We pressed the A/C button again and the blinking stopped. It has happened a few times now , on those days it has been extremely hot and muggy. Any ideas what this could be all about?

Thanks in advance for you help on this.

You should be able to turn your A/C on by pressing either the Auto or the A/C button -- no need to continually press one of those buttons.

At least on my LS, it stays in Auto mode after it's invoked -- no need to reselect it each time the car is started.

Your problem may be as simple as low refrigerant. I doubt if it is good for your compressor to allow the safety mechanism to turn the system off. The A/C system senses low refrigerant and turns the compressor off to prevent damage since the refrigerant also lubricates the compressor.

I'd recommend that you get your car back to the Lexus dealer ASAP -- don't keep trying to force the A/C to operate.

The only response I got so far suggests that I should be able to turn my A/C on by just pressing the A/C button, without first pressing the "Auto" button. However, the person that responded does not have an RX330, and maybe, just maybe, his car has a different A/C controls design.

Could one of you out there with a circa 2006 RX330 take a few minutes, go start your car, and then try to turn your A/C on by just pressing the A/C button. If it comes on, then there is obviously somthing wrong with my car. If it doesn't, and it requires that you first press the "Auto" button, then it is a design feature, and not a defect.

I would appreciate it if someone could take the time to try this and then post a response. I do not want to drive all the way to the dealer to find out that there is nothing wrong with the car.

Thanks in advance.

Of course, pressing the A/C button should turn the air conditioner on. What do you think an A/C button should do?

I suggest you read your owners manual to discover the function of the A/C and Auto buttons.

Just because I don't own an RX doesn't mean I haven't driven a dealer loaner RX a bunch of times.

The only response I got so far suggests that I should be able to turn my A/C on by just pressing the A/C button, without first pressing the "Auto" button. However, the person that responded does not have an RX330, and maybe, just maybe, his car has a different A/C controls design.

Could one of you out there with a circa 2006 RX330 take a few minutes, go start your car, and then try to turn your A/C on by just pressing the A/C button. If it comes on, then there is obviously somthing wrong with my car. If it doesn't, and it requires that you first press the "Auto" button, then it is a design feature, and not a defect.

I would appreciate it if someone could take the time to try this and then post a response. I do not want to drive all the way to the dealer to find out that there is nothing wrong with the car.

Thanks in advance.

I have a RX330 (2006) with navi. I can go to the climate screen and manully adjust the AC button with out using the Auto. Do you have NAVI?

Thanks in advance.

I have a RX330 (2006) with navi. I can go to the climate screen and manully adjust the AC button with out using the Auto. Do you have NAVI?

pretty much all systems allow you to bypass the auto settings.

• 2 weeks later...
I recently purchased a CPO 2006 RX330 and have a simple question about how to turn the A/C on.

With the ignition on, and all controls in the "off" condition, should I be able to turn the A/C on by pressing the A/C button, or, do I have to press the "Auto" button to turn the A/C on?

I have tried turning the A/C on by just pressing the A/C button, and nothing happens, the A/C light will not even come on. Is this normal for this car? I never owned a car with auto climate control, so I do not know if I must alsways turn the system on with the "Auto" control button.

I also have a secondary question. On several occasions we have noticed the A/C light blinking. According to the Owners Manual this can happen when the compressor turns off. We pressed the A/C button again and the blinking stopped. It has happened a few times now , on those days it has been extremely hot and muggy. Any ideas what this could be all about?

Thanks in advance for you help on this.