Ml Subwoofer On 2001 Ls430

jhm555

Hello

A few years ago, I purchased a used 2001 LS430. I enjoy listening to music, but to this day, I have yet to hear a peep from the ML subwoofer under any circumstances. Having read many posts about problems with this sub, I tried the hot wax fix, even though I could not find a tear and never heard the normally associated rattle. Still nothing. Now must move on to other possibilities.

Does anyone have ideas? Perhaps the sub is dead? Are there connections that may be loose? Are there fuses that may have blown and if so where are they located?

I need help with this.

Mac

Well a simple test would be to disconnect the wires to the speaker and use a 1.5V battery and feed the speaker terminals. You should see the speaker cone move as you apply and remove battery power. It should also make a little bit of noise. This would tell you if the voice coil is blown (open circuit) and/or if the voice coil is not positioned properly or jammed in the magnet air gap.

If you hear something and/or see movement maybe your problem isn't the speaker but upstream such as wires, power amp, or signal source. If you don't hear or see any movement it looks like you need a new speaker.

Well a simple test would be to disconnect the wires to the speaker and use a 1.5V battery and feed the speaker terminals. You should see the speaker cone move as you apply and remove battery power. It should also make a little bit of noise. This would tell you if the voice coil is blown (open circuit) and/or if the voice coil is not positioned properly or jammed in the magnet air gap.

If you hear something and/or see movement maybe your problem isn't the speaker but upstream such as wires, power amp, or signal source. If you don't hear or see any movement it looks like you need a new speaker.

Thanks a lot for the tip. I think that a friend might be able to help me with this test. I will let you know the results.