91 Ls400 Aftermarket Sub Amp Install

dj90laser

Was wondering if anyone has ever attempted to wire in a aftermarket amp for the sub by taking out the stock one and using the existing wires? :huh: I have a very detailed diagram of the wires at the factory amp and Im thinking os wiring a JL 500/1 to the existing wires. Then for a sub Im going to install a JL 8W7 in the factory hole. I have already put in a JL 8W0 and it works flawlessly. :D But Im going for just a bit more bass. The 8W7 is just a bit deeper so Im making a box that is air tight and fits under the rear dash to seal off the sub . The factory amp is kinda small by almost any standards so Im going to try to run The JL 500/1 to the 8W7 . That will give it just enough power :wacko: . If any one has any thoughts to put in Id appriacte all the input I can get . If I proceede in the install Ill post the pictures. Thanks Dale

500W Amp may be pushing the 8" sub to the limits. Be careful you don't turn the voice coil into charred metal scraps. Its going to be tricky to get an enclosure around driver and still use factory mounting panel. I assume you use an unvented enclose to keep it slightly more simple. Maybe some fiberglass so you can have irregular shape to follow contour under the deck.

Make sure you bring heavy enough gauge wires for power to Amp in trunk. That will pull a lot of current so old power wiring might not cut it. Signal lines should be OK.