On The Fence About Purchasing A Used Ls400

Porsche5050

I posted this on another Lexus forum, and wanted to know what you all thought as well prior to making a decision:

The car in question is the 1995-1997 model.

Anyways, this car would be replacing a 1993 Honda Accord SE with 192k miles. It's clean, runs well, great body/tires, and just had a complete brake job. It's never ever let us down. In other words, I'm in no rush to purchase another vehicle.

The LS in question is a 95-97, with about 120k miles on it. I talked the owner down to $3,500. Here's the quick breakdown:

good:

-same owner for the last 5 years, and previous to that, owned by his dad who had it since new

-engine/trans/interior are in good shape

-every gadget works

bad:

-has air shocks, and they seemed a bit soft - I'm a bit worried this will be a mess trying to fix

-needs a timing belt/h20 pump. If it goes, so does the top end of the engine - are we sure on this or is there still debate on the 95-97 LS400?

-needs brakes (they're not bad, but not as good as they should be)

-I'll probably change the tires

-has a few small cosmetic/paint issues due to spending time in the south, as well as small areas of dry leather - nothing serious, but with it being a Lexus I'll want to sort it out

I estimate all of the "bad" can be taken care of for $1,500-$2,000.

I did some negotiating, so for now $3,500 is the lowest he'll go, but I have a slight feeling there's a little more wiggle room.

Given the issues noted, do you guys/gals recommend I go for it? I realize I can get a 90-94 LS400 in better condition for $5k, and they have a non-interference engine, which I prefer, but I really like the styling of the 95-97 models, and clean "needs nothing" examples of these usually go for $7k.

Thanks for reading.

Air shocks with 120k miles on them, here in Chicago (the !Removed! of the world for roads)? You can consider them toast. Replacing them is anywhere between $700-$1,000 PER wheel. But, you can modify them to the normal set up for much cheaper. Call an indi lexus mechanic to discuss. If they say you can't modify them, have to use air shocks only, then hang up and call somewhere else. Even dealerships know how to do this.

My guess, after it's all done and said for: You'll be around $7k for the car after the listed repairs. Not to mention the other ones probably lurking, like the ball joints, strut rod bushings, engine and transmission mounts, etc... I would be willing to bet the strut rod bushings are toast at those miles, most are even on smooth black top roads. But, up here man, with these roads, given my experience with the LS suspension, I'd be stunned if (1) some of the suspension components haven't been replaced arleady, or (2) a good chunk of them need to be if they haven't already. As an example: I'm having to replace the lower ball joints on my 01' GS430, a chicago car "Barrington" since day one, with only 58k miles on the car.

The roads keep getting worse each year. Usually by summer they fixed up most of them, but not this year. $7,000 is more than I wanted to spend - might as well search for another/better example at that price. That's realistic though, I think my up to $2k figure was a bit optimistic. Thank you for the response.

Chicago's Department of Transportation idea of fixing a pothole, is to turn it into a speed bump. Somebody, please, buy these idiots a leveler to use! I just love the double speed bumps in the MIDDLE of the 290 every 300 yards while going to/from downtown. I'm not joking guys, there are these double humps on the freeway, that will actually throw your loose change out of the ashtray! And if you slow down to hit them, you're gonna have all sorts of trouble coming up your tailpipe. Your money would be better spent at the "Save Bernie Madoff" store, then at the alignment shop around here.

In my opinion, the last thing you want to buy here, is a 14 year old LS400 that has 120k miles on the air struts.