Brakes On Rx330

davezander

I just put new pads and rotors on front and rear at 124,000 miles.

I replaced rear calipers with rebuilt(loaded) calipers and brackets as the old rear calipers were all frozen and not floating. when removing old calipers the bolts/pins broke off in the brakets. Anyhow I bled the passenger rear, then drivers side rear. The pedal didn't seam real stiff, kind of goes down half way. I decided to bleed the front calipers as well hoping it would make the pedal firmer but it didn't seem to make any differance. The car stops fine, just seems like the pedal goes down farther than it should and seems a little spongy. I put a clear hose over the bleeder screws and into a bottle submerged end in new fluid while bleeding.had my son pump petal then hold while i cracked bleeder screw loose. I used DOT3 fluid. Any Ideas If i'm doing something wrong?

Thanks

Dave

I replaced rear calipers with rebuilt(loaded) calipers and brackets as the old rear calipers were all frozen and not floating. when removing old calipers the bolts/pins broke off in the brakets. Anyhow I bled the passenger rear, then drivers side rear. The pedal didn't seam real stiff, kind of goes down half way. I decided to bleed the front calipers as well hoping it would make the pedal firmer but it didn't seem to make any differance. The car stops fine, just seems like the pedal goes down farther than it should and seems a little spongy. I put a clear hose over the bleeder screws and into a bottle submerged end in new fluid while bleeding.had my son pump petal then hold while i cracked bleeder screw loose. I used DOT3 fluid. Any Ideas If i'm doing something wrong?

Thanks

Dave

The only reason I would know for the pedal going down farther and being spongy is there is still air in the system. I would bleed them a second time and see if that doesn't take care of the problem. There is no other reason for it to do that just from changing the rear calipers. If you do bleed them again, do just as you did the 1st time, farthest to the closest.

Thanks

Dave

The only reason I would know for the pedal going down farther and being spongy is there is still air in the system. I would bleed them a second time and see if that doesn't take care of the problem. There is no other reason for it to do that just from changing the rear calipers. If you do bleed them again, do just as you did the 1st time, farthest to the closest.

After being frustrated by the same issue from time to time over the last thirty-odd years of doing brake jobs, I bought one of these bleeders:

http://www.kd-tools.com/bleeder.htm

It's the best thing since sliced bread...the only catch is that you need an air compressor to run it. I just did a complete flush on my Lex this weekend, used Valvoline synthetic DOT 3-4...there's something so satisfying looking at the brake fluid resovoir and seeing clean fluid ! And watching the nasty old brown fluid being sucked out !

• 2 weeks later...