Need Some O2 Sensors

RoboRam12

So we've had the two O2 sensors closest to the engine (234-4048 and 234-4630) fail and they need to be replaced before it starts to damage the cat. Problem is, everywhere I look they are ridiculous unless you get them without the connector. I'd prefer one with a connector, but I guess I can mange without. Where would be the best place to get them cheap? I will be installing them myself, but right now money is tight since my dad is changing jobs.

If you know how to take them out, I'd try taking them out and cleaning them up before dropping that kind of money. Those sensors get dirty like everything else. Hey, the way I figure it, they are already broken so you can't break them by trying to clean them. You have nothing to lose by trying to clean them. Who knows? blast them off with some carb cleaner and do a look-see and maybe a little brass brush action and clean up what you can. Put them back in and try it out. If it works you saved a lot of money, if it doesn't, you lost a little time and a whole lot of money. Best of luck with this.

By the way, what kind of gasoline do you use?

I use premium always, and major brands mostly. The only non major brand I use is Costco but I figure their stuff is always good quality so I have to trust them on gasoline. On the road I prefer Shell, Exxon or BP

I just started using premium this month. But my dad who drove the car up until the last 4-5k miles put regular with the occasional mid-grade in... And I only use Shell now, they match the Sheetz price, which used to have the cheapest price around, but I've heard their gas is dodgy.

I'll look into cleaning them this weekend, the only problem I will have is clearing the code.

Oh, and where could I possibly get a new oil cap? The geniuses who used to change the oil somehow manged to take a small chunk out of the cap, and I think it is leading to oil loss. It's only been 2000 miles or so and the oil is near low.

Go over to Advance or Autozone and they have a OBD2 code reader that allows you to reset the codes. Not sure about the oil cap, a junkyard if you can find a Lexus in there. I usually run my oil (Mobil 1) between 3 and 5 thousand miles and it is always still full. I think if you were losing oil through the cap you would see it all over the engine.

Got the shaking diagnosed today, the drivers side front brake caliper won't release, which in turn caused to rotor to heat up (explains why it would slowly appear over a drive). $900 to replace the front brake rotors, calipers, and brake lines... I think this may spell the end for this car for us.

If you are so inclined, it really isn't all that difficult to replace them if you have ever done any brake work. I found the Lexus to be easier than GM, Fords or Mopars to change calipers and rotors. I would buy the stuff at Bap Geon in Virginia Beach (757) 425-7100. They are in Hilltop and are very good with reasonably priced Lexus parts. I paid less than $100 for an ASIAN caliper (same as factory).

I haven't done brake work before, or a lot of other things. I'm only 19 and this is just my dad's old car that I use to get to and from work/school. I'm sure if we had the space and right tools I would be capable of doing it myself, but we have neither. Thanks for the name though, we actually have a Bap Geon shop just down the road from us, so I'll see what they can get for us.

I haven't done brake work before, or a lot of other things. I'm only 19 and this is just my dad's old car that I use to get to and from work/school. I'm sure if we had the space and right tools I would be capable of doing it myself, but we have neither. Thanks for the name though, we actually have a Bap Geon shop just down the road from us, so I'll see what they can get for us.

If you have the time and desire, what better place to start learning than "dad's old car"? :whistles: For space, possibly a friend or relatives garage? They may even want to participate? Maybe there is a shop nearby you could take it to inspect the work after you are done? Just be sure to read the repair procedure through first to make sure you have the right tools, like a torque wrench (which will be needed for many future projects), and order all the parts. Then read again and follow all precautions right before starting the job. Personally, I swore off brake jobs years ago because of the hassle of having to take the rotors in to be turned (resurfaced), but since you need new rotors anyways.....

If you want to toy with the idea, post a new topic and hopefully get a lot of perspectives on brake work, would help you decide and/or proceed.

Well it still is my dad's car, I just get permission to use it, and I am on the registration. But anything I do to it goes through him. He was going to keep driving it and get a more practical car for myself and now my brother to use, but he got hooked on an A4 and hasn't looked back since.

I would love to learn how to do something like this, now just isn't the right time. I'm almost sophomore in college, so in a few years when I have my own place, I will be better able to learn the ins and outs of general maintenance and repair. I certainly have the desire to do it, just not the time right now.