02 Es Braking Issue (downshifting)

Hi - I know there is a big thread on the transmission hesitation but I haven't quite seen this as a symptom. I just bought this car with 58k miles and it does not appear to have any of the ECU updates/fixes.

MY issue is this: When I am braking to come to a stop, and if the stop is not really slow, I feel a really harsh and delayed downshift at around 20 mph or lower. Very noticable. I don't feel this if i am coming to a slower stop, probably because the car is already in a lower gear.

Have any of you had this problem? For those that did, would the TSB ECU updates help with this?

Thank you.

post-70574-1245334453_thumb.jpg

The flash appears to mainly deal with up shifts. I am not sure if it would affect the downshifts, but are you sure that the car has been flashed? look under the hood for a sticker, it will indicate if it indeed has been flashed. I have attached a copy of both of the two possible ecm flashes.

post-70574-1245334453_thumb.jpg

The flash appears to mainly deal with up shifts. I am not sure if it would affect the downshifts, but are you sure that the car has been flashed? look under the hood for a sticker, it will indicate if it indeed has been flashed. I have attached a copy of both of the two possible ecm flashes.

Hi - thanks for responding. It has not been flashed as there is no sticker, so I am optimistic that it will help. My only hesitation is if the RPM on the first couple gears will seem strange, but I would think Lexus wouldn't have released this if it wasn't a reasonable fix. Any input would be great.

Thanks

Things change with a little wear and mileage. At first I was sceptical, but when I worked at chrysler. I had a diesel ram, with auto tranny come in. With over 30k miles, the complaint was hunting with the lockup clutch. There was a TSB to flash the pcm, so I flashed it. Problem solved. If I had not done it myself, I would not have believed it. So, Keep a open mind, it may help.

Mine has never done anything like that. The transmission in general is a little clunky at times, but nothing like the issue you're describing.

Mine has been reflashed twice, go ahead and have it reflashed and see if it helps but I doubt thats the issue...