Xenon Lights Confusion

I'm thinking about converting my headlights and fog lamps to xenon for fits and shiggles. I see listed direct replacement bulbs for High/Low (direct swap for existing halogen), for under $20.00, but the complete kit including the fog lamp lenses is around $180.00.

Then I also see direct bulb swap kits for all three (high/low/fog) from $40.00 to $400.00. All kits claim to be direct swap outs, but some are just bulbs while others include what I believe to be capacitors of some type.

I looked into doing this a few years ago for my Harley and it was about a $500 deal and just short of major brain surgery (never did it).

What are the best Xenon lights out there or should I just forget it and keep the factory halogens? :(

unless you purchase the head light assembly that causes you to have to get that special front bumper kit to go with it, i wouldn't bother with it and just keep the factories in place. sometimes switching around bulbs can trigger other electrical problems that take for ever to figure out. just a suggestion. ;)

orrrr you could go on ebay and just type in 9006 HID conversion kit. they are probably anywhere from 50$ to 100$. donnnnt get the cheeapo ones for under 20$, cause they are just bulbs there are not "balasts". the ballast is that capicitor you saw. a ballast powers your HID's to make them ten times brighter and more blinding to other motorists. which we know is the fun part. :D

the kits are for your headlights only however. (low beams) they are very easy to install. it could take me about 20 minutes.

all you do is pull out the old bulbs, put the HID bulbs in, and connect a wire from the ballast to the stock headlight power source. then hide the ballast and your good to go.

i am not positive how to do fog lights or high beams. hi-beams are ten times harder to get at since the radiator is in the way, and to be honest the amount of time you have them ON wont be worth the extra 50-100 dollars for an HID kit. so for those, my suggestion is what i have done to my car.

My Headlight Setup: 8000K 9006 HID low beams. HID bulb only for Hi-beams. and LED lights for the fog lights. they look really well and from a distance all appear the same color. its much cheaper and still has a really nice look to it.

i hope this helps. HID's are my specialty haha :lol:

• 2 months later...

He's right, DO NOT buy the Xenon bulbs by themselves for $10-$20 off ebay, I bought 9006 6000K low beam Xenon's and they looked pretty good, but were so dim that it made driving at night dangerous. Get the kit, One of the easiest installs you can do on a car.