Stereo Dead After Car Wash

I took my '95 SC300 through a car wash the other day and when I came out, the stereo was basically dead. Sound can only be heard if the volume is maxed out, and it is very muffled, like the only speaker working is the subwoofer. I've read on some other posts that the fuse could be the culprit, but is it the fuse in the engine compartment or the dash panel? Also, are there other causes for this besides the fuse? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I took my '95 SC300 through a car wash the other day and when I came out, the stereo was basically dead. Sound can only be heard if the volume is maxed out, and it is very muffled, like the only speaker working is the subwoofer. I've read on some other posts that the fuse could be the culprit, but is it the fuse in the engine compartment or the dash panel? Also, are there other causes for this besides the fuse? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Amplifier in trunk probably got wet. Not sure if you have a weatherstrip problem or a leaking sunroof drain. Happened to me. I bought a ised one on ebay and it has worked for 3 or 4 years. It's possible you could try drying it out, and you should definitely find water intrusion site anyway.

Good luck.

• 11 months later...

Common problem. I had it happen three times until I made the link with the carwash. I repaired the trunk unit by replacing the switching power supply transistors (three times - at least it has a consistent failure mode!). If you can't do that yourself, you could get any electronic handyman to do it - once you know what's wrong, it's easy to replace the transistors. I couldn't figure out exactly where the water was coming in because I never "caught it in the act" but I put a sheet of plastic underneath the trunk unit to deflect any possible water intrusion and it's been OK for a couple of years now.

Amplifier in trunk probably got wet. Not sure if you have a weatherstrip problem or a leaking sunroof drain. Happened to me. I bought a ised one on ebay and it has worked for 3 or 4 years. It's possible you could try drying it out, and you should definitely find water intrusion site anyway.

Good luck.

Yep, Your trunk seal is shot and or the antenna seal. Your not the first, Your amp fried. You can dry it out all you want, Still fried.............I have seen this over and over, and again !!!

• 3 weeks later...

Also check the drain tube that drains the water from the fuel door cavity. I had my come loose and after a car wash also had my trunk amp blow out on my 97 SC400. With that tube line off the water basically drips right onto the amp. I used a zip tie to secure the drain tube on and haven't had any problems with water in the trunk since. Now replacing the Nak Amp was a whole other not so happy story.

Good luck :D